News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

Took the full feather and snipped out the tip  and then folded the two opposing sides over the stem to make the wing, does that make sense? Tried cutting a wider section as that's the way I do mallard but didn't work for some reason  :roll:

Lochan_load

They're lovely flies, is it a hen hackle on the lighter ones?

Lochan_load

This ones just for you Fred, tied the original way, just wire and one bunch of pheasant tail, pure function!
[attachimg=1]

SoldierPmr

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 01, 2014, 11:53:31 PM
Took the full feather and snipped out the tip  and then folded the two opposing sides over the stem to make the wing, does that make sense? Tried cutting a wider section as that's the way I do mallard but didn't work for some reason  :roll:
thats the way I seem to get the best result with teal otherwise the fibres seem too soft and move around.

Clan Chief

Quoteis it a hen hackle on the lighter ones?

Indeed its a hen. Light Dun .No specific pattern just liked the colour combination

Wildfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 01, 2014, 11:53:31 PM

I find teal to be one of the most difficult feathers to work with for making wings. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps it's just a bit soft.

Wildfisher

[attachimg=1]
Hans Weilenmann's CDC and Elk

This is a dry fly everyone should have in their box. Seriously, it will take fish that have refused everything else. I don't use it as a matter of course, because I avoid CDC dry flies when I can. It's a last resort fly that seldom fails and is dead easy and quick to tie. Oddly, it does not actually use Elk hair, rather it uses deer hair, this one is tied with coastal.

Rabmax

I fished this pattern quit often on my top dropper when French Nymphing in the Trout season past.
http://www.riverbum.com/Sheep-Creek-Special-Biggs-Fly/
It's very similar to one of my top fly patterns called a Renegade anyway & it seemed to work just as well.I have loads of Teal & Mallard flank so used one or the other.Well not a fancy wing like the nice looking ones posted by Lochan but the trout love it.I often like fishing unusual looking fly patterns that trout aren't used to seeing.Cheers All

Rabmax

Great fly Fred i like the crippled version too.

Lochan_load

Like that Fred, do quite a lot of deer hair dries but never with the CDC as well, looks nice and leggy!
I'll also knock up this riverbum fly rab max, unusual but I like it ;)

Go To Front Page