News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part-time

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 09, 2014, 12:10:30 PM
Cheers I've only got a couple of them but it's good stuff. I got some b100s to tie snatchers but thought i would have a go at doing a shrimp pattern.  Does anyone use these for loch trout? You often read that they are a big part of the diet but never see anyone use a pattern like this. This is my second one, the first one was a disaster!!
[attachimg=1]

I use them on some Sutherland lochs that have a good population of shrimp in them and found that they work pretty well. Tied on the point of a 2 or 3 fly cast, I let it sink then use a jerky retrieve. Pattern is loosely a leaded Goddard shrimp with a natural haresear or tan sealfur dubbed body.   

Lochan_load

Do you mean by that you wouldn't target them with a shrimp pattern fachan?
Funny you said tan/ brown part time, the purple in the picture above is uv dub but it's brown, tried it in a pint tumbler and this is what it looks like wet[attachimg=1]

Part-time

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 09, 2014, 10:19:21 PM
Do you mean by that you wouldn't target them with a shrimp pattern fachan?
Funny you said tan/ brown part time, the purple in the picture above is uv dub but it's brown, tried it in a pint tumbler and this is what it looks like wet[attachimg=1]

It will be interesting to see how you get on with it LL - when you head north next season let me know and I can suggest some lochs with plenty shrimp in them for a trial :) I use those colours (light tan/sandy brown) in an attempt to match the shrimp I see in the lochs.

Lochan_load

I'll definately take you up on that, any elbows in the right direction gratefully received  :lol:

Wildfisher

Some small no hackle deer hair sedges

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

A Dirty Duster with grizzle hackle and florescent -yellow post, so in fact it's not a Dirty Duster at all.  :lol:

[attachimg=1]
Side View

[attachimg=2]
Front View

loch coulter

crackers, trying to reach this standard :roll:

Wildfisher

Keep at it Tommy, the more you tie the better you'll  get. I'd also advise watching some Davie MacPhail videos, not for the 40 shades of green dubbing nonsense or even the vastly over complicated patterns, but getting the tying tips and techniques. The guy is an artist.

loch coulter

Quote from: admin on December 10, 2014, 03:11:39 PM
Keep at it Tommy, the more you tie the better you'll  get. I'd also advise watching some Davie MacPhail videos, not for the 40 shades of green dubbing nonsense or even the vastly over complicated patterns, but getting the tying tips and techniques. The guy is an artist.
watch him regularly, he makes it look so easy.

Rabmax

Quote from: scoobyscott on December 08, 2014, 05:23:04 PM
No I fish the tweed and Midlothian esk mostly. Thanks for the suggestions though will give them a bash. Where is it you fish yourself?
I normally fish localround Ayrshire these days as the Rivers seem to keep getting better with less pollution these day where i live.The weenie is such an easy fly to tie but deadly in those heavy spate waters.I think it's something to do with giving them something visible in those conditions.If you find the colour or colours for where you fish you should do well.I even get the odd Salmon attacking them when fishing for trout too.Cheers

Go To Front Page