News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I'm a hopeless tier  when it comes to deer hair flies Andy. I just can't get them neat, although in truth it does not matter much as even the neatest fly is soon untidy once used.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on September 08, 2015, 11:50:11 AM
A Leg-hog

Another fly I will never use.  :lol:
got "carp" written all over it, Fred. just sayin'...... :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Yeah, I agree with Andy , that looks dangerous. I'd fish it without hesitation at the first sight of cowdungs or sedges. In fact I'd give that a go as a general attractor on the bob.
I fish a tatty old soldier muddler that looks well past it's sell by date with a lot of success. It's survived a few seasons in my box and the more torn and tattered it gets the more effective it seems to become. I've got plenty other nice neat versions but the old wreck has got a quality that can't be tied in.
I agree that you can get away with a lot with deer hair but it's still nice to see a well tied muddler type fly fresh from the vice.

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on September 08, 2015, 01:55:52 PM
got "carp" written all over it, Fred. just sayin'...... :8)

Is it next April in sunny Spain then?   :lol:

rannoch raider

Hey Dave, Quick question for you. What is the brand of your 'go to' wire leader ?

Wildfisher

Quote from: rannoch raider on September 08, 2015, 02:04:58 PM
Yeah, I agree with Andy , that looks dangerous.

That one is golden olive, I have found in the past the most effective colours for hedgehogs to be purple and orange. Quite why these unnatural colours work I have no idea.

Lochan_load

Quote from: admin on September 08, 2015, 12:27:35 PM
I just can't get them neat, although in truth it does not matter much as even the neatest fly is soon untidy once used.

That's about as neat as a sedgehog gets really and as soon as you've had a fish on they get chewed up pretty quick!

On the wire thing i was using partridge pike wire earlier this year and found it really good it's not cheap (it's partridge!)  but it's fairly fine, dark brown sort of like maxima. You knot it with a stop knot so no clips, swivels etc

fergie

Ive found the sparcer dressed or chewed sedgehogs have been far more effective than some heavily dressed ones I bought.

Wildfisher

One for the closing days of the season.

The SedgeDad    :8)

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

There's something quite nice about these leggy versions when you get over their initial strangeness. I'll need to knock a few up and give them a swim sometime.

Go To Front Page