News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

I like the crippled dabbled. Strange how the mallard didn't dye well.

Lochan_load

Ach the grey mallard cost a couple of quid and I've got a range of lighter shades out of it that'll be useful, I'll just need to buy some in, I've already had a wee look at cookshill, cheers for that

bibio1

It is tricky. I find deer hair dyes better wet but feathers when they are dry. You can never get it right.

Cheers

Paul

Lochan_load

A wee classic.....
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

And another  :worried

[attachimg=1]

bibio1

Nice  flies. Particularly like the real and red with a silver tag

Lochan_load

Quote from: bibio1 on September 18, 2015, 12:27:30 PM
Nice  flies. Particularly like the real and red with a silver tag

:lol:

Clan Chief

rannoch raider

Yes, the simple, traditional loch fly is a thing of beauty. I recall that in days gone by nearly everything had a black, red, green, yellow, hare's ear or silver body with a tippet or topping tail, a silver or gold rib and a wing of teal, woodcock, grouse, mallard or starling.
If you had those materials you could add a hackle of your choice and were well equipped for anywhere ! :D
If you were a right 'Fancy Dan' you could add a jungle cock eye and a roll of gold tinsel for the flashy Dunkelds and the like.
Feck, I've got stuff in my kit that I don't even recognise anymore! 

Lochan_load

Something simple and nice about them, makes me think of my granpas fly box! These were the types of flies you could get in my local shops and you're totally right, jungle cock was very rare and extremely fancy!!

Go To Front Page