News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

The merino looks excellent Dave, looks like it would be useful in all sorts of flies, where did you get it?

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on December 18, 2015, 05:05:53 PM
The merino looks excellent Dave, looks like it would be useful in all sorts of flies, where did you get it?
had a look online, wasn't sure about colours or pack sizes; so went down the village craft shop at lunch time and bought a mixed pack of around 15 different colours for the princely sum of £1.95. each little ball weighs about 2-3g and that's enough for a lot of flies. the crafty set use it for felting. not all the felting wool is merino, so check first
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Nice one Dave, I'll need to give that stuff a wee look. By the way, I used that link you gave me for the eyes. Great prices and excellent quality products. :)

Lochan_load

Bobfly

Mention of felting reminds me that craft shops often sell felting needles which are long things that often have a bent "foot" for going into felting machines. Anyway the needles are three sided and have tiny upwards pointing mini barbs along the three edges so the when the needle is pushed in it carries a few fibres with it for felting things together. For that reason they are good for fuzzing out your dubbing on the bodies of bugs or whatever. Better than a smooth needle.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

corsican dave

a couple of bunny-ends. this stuff is too good to waste!
[attachimg=1]
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

corsican dave

and because I couldn't bear to throw away even some trimmed strands. this is on a size 4 sakuma manta, which has a great gape
[attachimg=1]

JimJams

Still cant do muddler's! Keep trying and failing, cant shape the head right or work with deer hair in general!

speydulika

Quote from: JimJams on December 21, 2015, 01:09:27 PM
Still cant do muddler's! Keep trying and failing, cant shape the head right or work with deer hair in general!

That will catch fish. What's wrong with you man? Its not the clearest photo in the world but from what I can see the material distribution in terms of the deer hair should be less in the wing and more in the head. In terms of clipping the head there ain't much wrong with yours just needs a bit more material.

Bobfly

I would go pulling that through a wave and be expecting a result !!!
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page