News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

You must promise to give us all a swatch at what's in your fly boxes before you and Dave head off carping and barbeling in the sun.

Lochan_load

I think their having us all on jim, it'll be wall to wall black Pennells and Kate mclarens  :lol:  :worried

JimJams

Nothing wrong with a black pennell!

rannoch raider

Dave wouldn't be seen dead with a standard Black Pennel on his line. It would need to be a black rabbit Pennel or similar  :lol:

Anyway, I managed to get rid of the family today so got the 'disgusting box of dead birds' as the wife calls it, back on the table. I'm still thinking saltwater Sea Trout so here's one I'm hoping will work in Scottish waters. It's called the Bloody Nosed Magnus and is probably the salty Sea Trout equivalent of the hares ear in that it represents nothing in particular but suggests aquatic food. It's very popular in Denmark and Sweden.....................

rannoch raider

Staying on the salty Sea Trout theme, an alternative Magnus with two hackle tips tied in to replace the standard Grizzly Maribou. This fly also gets fished with a lighter body dressing and a pink neck hackle, That version takes the name 'Polar Magnus'.

[attachimg=1]

Followed by what must be one of the simplest pulling / stripping lures to tie, the Xmas Tree, Danish style. For such a simple lure it has a great following over there where an alternative tying in shocking pink known as the flame is said to catch a lot of fish..............

[attachimg=2]

Has anyone ever tried these 'foreign' patterns over here ?

Wildfisher

These look good Jim. I have used similar flies. In fact i reckon all of these flies posted recently would catch perfectly well fished loch style. After all what is a Blue Zulu pulled through a wave? I have never seen a fly that looks like that. It's a general attracter  / lure pattern that either provokes a response or doesn't. It's most certainly not an insect representation and the same surely applies  to most traditional  loch patterns.

Wildfisher

I used to catch a lot on this early season on lochs. It was often taken on the drop.

I called it  "A Tear To Glass Eye" because it was certain to make conservative traditional  loch fishers weep! Sometimes I used a pink glass bead, sometimes plastic bead chain like on this one.

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Carp fly tied on a jig hook to swim this way up.

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

And another. No idea what it is, but then neither do the fish.  :D

[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

nice that Fred! now you just need to get hold of the Australian possum crawdad scruffy micro-dub fibre and you're away  :lol:

Quote from: rannoch raider on January 03, 2016, 02:13:50 AM
Dave wouldn't be seen dead with a standard Black Pennel on his line. It would need to be a black rabbit Pennel or similar  :lol:
not at present Jim! not much of a meal for toothy aliens.(although I might tie up a CD-bastard version just to appease the traditionalists  :8)) they'll be back in my box in march. besides which I can pick up 1/2 doz black pennels for a couple of quid from any tackle shop/petrol station/hardware store.

the magnus is a great woolly bugger variant. here's a rather battered one that's a survivor from spain last year
[attachimg=1]

now you've reminded me i'll do some magnus style too  :D probably in a mad panic during the first week of april.....
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page