News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutmaddave

Lochan_load

Fred is trying to get me over to the dark side.....See page 414 of this thread!

Wildfisher

Andy, remember,  the darkest hour is just before the dawn.............................   :lol:

Wildfisher

Krazy Carper   :8)

[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

yep!  :8)
did you get one of the books Fred, or are you just scouring the American trash-fish sites? you'd like my book-shelves.... :wink:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

American trash Youtube Dave. I just adapt the flies to use what I have. There is far too much emphasis put on "the right" feather or fur.

Americans are very adventurous in their fly designs. We Scots like to believe we are radical, but the truth is we are one of the most conservative countries on Earth. I doubt if there has been a new idea come out of Scottish fishing in 100 years. It's easier to stick with old myths, do the same old thing  and blame lack of success on flat calms.    In the UK all advances in modern fly fishing have come from England, especially from the coarse fishing and reservoir scene. 

Nothing wrong with  tradition of course, I still use  traditional flies and techniques (although I'm long past the stage of sitting in  a boat pulling flies) but being flexible is both enjoyable and successful. 

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on January 08, 2016, 09:50:48 AM
Americans are very adventurous in their fly designs.  being flexible is both enjoyable and successful.
:cheers; been saying that for years, as you know  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

I still rate the good old Dunkeld  as hard to beat. Brown,  gold & orange are a killer mix, but flexibility is the key and if nothing else makes things a bit more interesting.   :D

bibio1

Com'Mon.....the weeg gave the world parachute flies only a few decades ago. Now that was innovative and successful. It's spawned a whole different approach to imitative fishing.

(Ok it was a weegie that ties the first one based on an Americans input.....but it was still a weegie)

Wildfisher

Nah! It was Leonardo Da Vinci who invented the parachute.    :lol:

Go To Front Page