News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on January 15, 2016, 01:49:49 PM
Back to the coastal flies. One for when it's baltic in the Baltic! Vinterkiller variant.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

I like the looks of that myself. It looks quite shrimplike.
Could be a good one to have in  the box for Uist, both in the salt proper and in the brackish lochs.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

One of my own shrimp patterns. Tied on a size 8 partridge shrimp hook, its a bit smaller and less garish than the Baltic patterns.............

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

It'll get a swim sometime soon.

Wildfisher

troutmaddave

Those shrimps are beautiful. Nice work

rannoch raider

Eezee sandeel. Easiest pattern ever ! EZ tubing, tying silk, saltwater hook of your choice, bug bond and a couple of sharpies.   :8)

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

corsican dave

yep, I've always found the most difficult bit is tying off the tail end  :roll:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Lochan_load

rannoch raider

Quote from: corsican dave on January 18, 2016, 05:04:19 PM
yep, I've always found the most difficult bit is tying off the tail end  :roll:

If I'm going to do a lot I cut the EZ braid to length and form the tails on each on a tube fly tying needle attachment before tying the patterns.

If you don't have one or can't be bothered you can always do it this way........

Tie the tubing to the head of the hook and finish with a whip finish, I then turn the fly around and put the tail end of the tubing in the vice leaving about a half inch or so sticking out.
[attachimg=1]

I then attach a good tight set of hackle grips and use these as a brace to stop the loose tail end slipping while I tighten down to make the tail flare.
[attachimg=2]

I don't tie it off, I just give it a very small dab of super glue which locks the tying thread and strands of tubing together instantly.
[attachimg=3]

Locked!
[attachimg=4]

I trim and tidy it up before the sharpies and bug bond are applied.
[attachimg=5]

Wildfisher

Go To Front Page