News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shad

Quote from: rannoch raider on January 23, 2016, 02:43:42 PM
Hi bud, the wing is angel hair. It's a very fine synthetic fibre available in various colours including this one which is a mix of white, pearl and has some blue 'ish' sparkle that's quite hard to see on photos. It is very mobile and doesn't absorb water. The tail and beard are arctic fox tied fairly meaty.

Cheers Jim , Ive plenty of that although mines is all flashy does it come in just plain colours? Your fly looks nice and translucent in the photo.

I was given some pink, white and chartreuse polar bear fur years ago, it makes great clousers but really hard to find a match and Im not cool with harming anymore polar bears!

Craft fur is pretty close but I  cant find  it in the deep magenta Im looking for, If youve any ideas let me know -

rannoch raider

That wee clouser looks great Colin. It's got that translucency you speak of. What 's best to use to achieve that look with synthetics is hard to say. It's probably a matter of personal preference and what's in the eye of the beholder. There are so many synthetic options out there it has become difficult to choose. I use a few different ones for different things.

For sandeel type clousers I find DNA materials pretty good but it doesn't have the 'bounce' that some crimped fibres have........

[attachimg=1]

Another one I like is Halo Hair which comes in polar white. It works quite well with the Angel Hair wing and flash material which comes in a good bright pink. The clouser with the gold eyes is tied with that combination. The other is done with a combination of transparent ice supreme hair which is marketed as white and pink supreme hair. I think it works quite well but it won't have the same movement as the finer materials.
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]

There is now a lighter, finer version of this out there from Wapsi, it's called Unique hair. It looks the part but I've yet to try it.
Another really good material I've just got my hands on is the Steve Farrar's flash blend from H20. It is sold in a huge range of colours with and without flash.
Corsican Dave put me onto the Funky Fly Tying company and I've found they hold a wide variety of winging and flash fibre materials. It's definitely worth a wee browse through their site. The guy who runs the shop is called Toby and he is very helpful and happy to offer advice on the phone.

Maybe someone else out there could offer more advice ? Corsican Dave certainly knows his way around synthetics and he's been tying saltwater patterns for a lot longer than I have. What's your thoughts Dave?

bibio1

Guys I'm goin to be chasing sea bass this year on the west coast. I'm going mid June. So.....what flies would you recommend. Don't want to spend a fortune but some of the tyings look great.

Fishtales

Shad

There is no image showing up in your post for me.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

rannoch raider

Quote from: bibio1 on January 24, 2016, 04:56:00 PM
Guys I'm goin to be chasing sea bass this year on the west coast. I'm going mid June. So.....what flies would you recommend. Don't want to spend a fortune but some of the tyings look great.

Lets hope there are some bass to fish for on the west coast this year. There were very few around last year. In some of the better more reliable marks they did not show at all. Anyway ! Tie yourself a small selection of clousers in a combination of white belly and any of the following colours on top, chartreuse, olive green, tan, white, blue, pink.  Size 4, 2 and 1 hooks with weighted bead chain or dumbells to suit the depth you want to fish at. They don't need to be neat or fancy. If they are there you will catch them on these.
tight lines!

Sorry, forgot to say you can get a pack of mixed bucktail at a reasonable price that will probably do the whole job for you.

Wildfisher

Just saw on Countryfile that rod and line anglers kill 25% of all bass in northern Europe. An astonishing amount.

rannoch raider

I cannot believe that ! Certainly not the case here in the UK. Bullshit methinks.

Wildfisher

I intend to fly fish for bass at Elliot beach Arbroath this summer. Some big fish get caught there every year. Burnie had a 10 lber last year (on bait). I also expect I might get hassle from the Tay bailiffs, but I will not be intimidated as every fish I catch will be returned regardless of species.

bibio1

I am going to give it a go on islay, where I'm told there are some good spots on the north of the island.

I will call Toby at funky tomorrow and get a small selection of stuff. I can see  another addiction taking hold.

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on January 24, 2016, 04:19:42 PM
Corsican Dave certainly knows his way around synthetics and he's been tying saltwater patterns for a lot longer than I have. What's your thoughts Dave?
somewhat worryingly my young niece turned up this weekend with her "my little pony" toy (quite a large one). it's now minus a few strands of its wonderfully translucent pink mane.....  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page