News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on January 28, 2016, 12:02:13 AM
Well, you've had the beauty of a classic, must be time for a beast !

The 'Alive Borsteormsflue',  coastal sea trout ragworm pattern that has a great reputation. Probably one of the hardest things to tie I've done for a wee while. It does have great mobility though so hopefully worthwhile. 

somehow I completely missed this one, Jim. it's great!  :D have you got a link to a sbs by any chance?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on January 31, 2016, 09:01:24 AM
somehow I completely missed this one, Jim. it's great!  :D have you got a link to a sbs by any chance?

I'd be interested in that too. Mr Google & Mr Youtube both come up blank.

rannoch raider

Here you go gents............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz-6ATecsh8
This is the original step by step in Danish which opens a You Tube page with a number of alternatives including a pattern made from ring neck hackles that looks good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_A-dgsLfiw
English version.

Lochan_load

One today, a hair wing silver doctor. Really need to get more time at the vice  :(

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

Very nice, are we to take it that you are now tying for that double hander and the Leven now ?  :)
All you need to catch salmon is black, orange and yellow bucktail, black silk, gold and silver tinsel. Just tie a selection of Willie Gunn tubes, singles, doubles and shrimps in various sizes. That's it. All you will ever need, wherever you go, at any time of year.   :lol:

Lochan_load

It's just one I'd  seen and fancied a crack at, it's a bit over elaborate with three different fox tail colours and a false hackle over the hackle, the challenge is keeping the sequence right to keep down bulk on the head. But yes primarily tying for the leven with possible odd day on the Isla and maybe even the Tay if I get in early enough to make it affordable!
I want to get some Spey style ones tied, I'm thinking a sort of doobry Spey, still to flesh it out though, just need some time at the vice  :roll:

rannoch raider

Have a look at the orange, black and gold shrimp. There's a few versions of that on the go that you would easily mistake for a big webby doobry. all the right colours.

Lochan_load

Ok doke I'll have a look,  cheers

Lochan_load

That's a brand new mangy cape I'll have you know  :lol:

loch coulter

Quote from: rannoch raider on January 30, 2016, 10:36:24 PM
You think so ? How many did the commercial netsmen catch and how many did the local bass anglers catch during the 2015 season ? There may be isolated areas where anglers abuse big shoals of small fish but these catches don't get close to the numbers taken by commercial fishermen.
dont know about 2015 but i know me and a mate had plenty in 2014 and only a few small ones, maybe we were lucky :8)

Go To Front Page