News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

First attempt at a spey style, the body and Palmer went well and all was good but the golden pheasant shoulder hackle is a bit on the long side and turns out I only had grey mallard and not bronze ( and no opposing feathers!) anyway always good to have room for improvement!
[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

That's nice that is. The pheasant works quite well tied like that.

Lochan_load

Cheers yeah the effect is quite good but too long I think. The fly looked great just with the Palmer. Kinda wish I'd left it. Interested to see what folk think of this, kind of had the willie gunn in mind ( thanks Jim) but didn't really have a plan when I started  :shock:
[attachimg=1]

troutmaddave

Quote from: Lochan_load on February 01, 2016, 07:25:14 PM
First attempt at a spey style, the body and Palmer went well and all was good but the golden pheasant shoulder hackle is a bit on the long side and turns out I only had grey mallard and not bronze ( and no opposing feathers!) anyway always good to have room for improvement!
[attachimg=1]
I like the spey style a lot, great overall shape. Maybe a black head would look better? That's not a criticism by the way! How did you form the wing? Is it a big bunch removed and folded back on its self?
Nice looking fly, I would fish that for sure

Lochan_load

Hey Dave, I put a folded wing on first to support and then put a slip down either side to try and give the flat profile, didn't quite work but I'll definately give it a swim  :D

Lochan_load

Another hair wing silver doctor, size 4 single this time. Think I'm done with these now...far too much like hard work!  :shock:
[attachimg=1]

troutmaddave

That's a nice fly. Beautifly tied!
Keep them coming. Maybe we should have a threat for the classics!!

Lochan_load

I don't tie many salmon flies Dave, was just a bit inspired by some of your flies and jims speys, I like the classic style ones but there's a lot of work in them!! . This is basically the Spey style I posted yesterday but with the wing replaced with a jc cheek and a black hackle, could come in handy at some point
[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

Is that a claret body with a pearl rib Andy ? Whatever it is , its a good combination that goes well with the copper. Bet that would work well as a sea trout bumble. Nice.

Lochan_load

It's orange guard hair mixed with hot orange slf and uv, robbed with gold holographic and copper for the Palmer, tired just typing that! Tried to upload a pic from below to show it closer but it won't upload. And cheers  :D

Go To Front Page