News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberth

Thanks, it's the final trimming I find difficult with these patterns. I've ordered some Enrico Puglisi fibres in olive, off white and bronze so expect some new baitfish creations next week!  :D

corsican dave

yep, getting the proportions right is tricky. and the synthetics knacker your scissors pretty quickly, too.
bit of a top tip I picked up from a pro-tyer: tease your fibres out from one end of the bundle to create a taper before you tie it in. magically the other end of the bundle is tapered too! bloody obvious when you think about it, but it hadn't occurred to me....doh!  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Bring them on Robert ! I love to see new patterns.  I'm not very experienced with that style of tying so it's good to see what can be done with it. 

roberth

These are my first attempts at this type of pattern. I was buying a fly reel from Dyckers in the Netherlands and noticed this style of fly for sale so decided to copy some of them. The guys that run the shop catch some monster pike on the fly, their most successful pattern being a black and purple streamer called Kers. I'll have a go at one and post the results.

shad

Funny Robert the Dyckers blog /shop/videos really caught my eye as well, they catch some serious fish in the Netherlands and overseas.

They seem to do well with the ep flies for Bass as well.

roberth

Quote from: shad on February 19, 2016, 03:11:16 PM
Funny Robert the Dyckers blog /shop/videos really caught my eye as well, they catch some serious fish in the Netherlands and overseas.

They seem to do well with the ep flies for Bass as well.

The guys really know their stuff and are happy to offer advice on gear or fly patterns. I've been getting most of my fly tying materials from them.

Robert

roberth

Picked these up from HobbyCraft today, far cheaper than the GAC. Not sure if they'll be as durable but worth a go. £5.50 for 225 eyes (7mm, 9mm and 12mm)

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

I bought a bunch of those some years ago. They work fine and must add extra movement

JimJams

Those eyes are fine, used them on loads of pike flies!

rannoch raider

Talking of Pike flies ! First attempt at a Niklaus Bauer pattern with detachable 3gm head and wiggle tail. It does a lot of damage in the video Dave just posted so let's hope it works for our Scottish toothy critters too !

Weighing in at 33cm !

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

The hollow construction style gives it good volume. Might be hard to see from my poor phone photos....

[attachimg=3]

Very light and fairly streamlined for casting for a fly with such presence.

Go To Front Page