News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergie

My mate is gonnie have a crack at some chernobyl ants he i told him about them.  :roll:
He just text asking what colour is best. 
The ones i got from fred kick ass and are just black.  Any advice for Peter guys.
Cheers

haresear

Quote from: fergie on February 21, 2016, 09:21:54 PM
My mate is gonnie have a crack at some chernobyl ants he i told him about them.  :roll:
He just text asking what colour is best. 
The ones i got from fred kick ass and are just black.  Any advice for Peter guys.
Cheers

I've had big fish on yellow chernobyl ants (yellow underside, black back). I can see how this might look a wee bit like a big stonefly,  but I think black or brown would look more "natural" :lol: when there are no stoneflies about.

Alex

Protect the edge.

fergie

roberth

I'll need to try the Chernobyl Ant. I'm a fan of a big dry but usually use a big mayfly, never fails on Loch Awe.

Robert

rannoch raider

A saltwater pattern that is said to be effective for sea trout. It will certainly have plenty of sparkle and mobility. It'll be getting a chance to prove itself very soon  :wink:

The White Magic Head............

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Part-time

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 22, 2016, 07:12:33 PM
A saltwater pattern that is said to be effective for sea trout. It will certainly have plenty of sparkle and mobility. It'll be getting a chance to prove itself very soon  :wink:

The White Magic Head............

That looks an interesting pattern :) - I dont remember seeing anything like it for saltwater seatrout before. I'm guessing the plastic cone will make it dart about quite a bit. Can I ask where do you get the plastic cones from? - I fancy giving that pattern a try myself :)

rannoch raider

Hi Bud, It's not a fly I'd ever seen before someone sent me this video and asked me to tie the fly for him . There is a step by step for tying this incorporated into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_Vw1L-sCI

I have used white wooly buggers and the white IPN has a good reputation over here so I wasn't surprised that it was a successful pattern elsewhere. It is really nothing more than a IPN with the weight removed and a 'Magi Head' added.
The heads themselves are called 'Magic Heads' , they come in a number of sizes for use with different size hooks. They can be difficult to find online.
They are one of Marc Petitjean's inventions and like everything else that is connected to that name they are a ridiculous price. You can pay over a fiver for a pack of six of these things. Are they good ? I don't know but I can see the logic behind them and I'm keen to try them out here. It seems to me that they will do their best work with simple flies tied with mobile materials. I've fitted a couple to longer soft worm patterns but haven't used them yet.

Cheers
Jim

roberth

Some more pike lures.

Garfish blue and white.
[attachimg=1]

Frog green and light tan.
[attachimg=2]

Part-time

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 22, 2016, 08:24:45 PM
Hi Bud, It's not a fly I'd ever seen before someone sent me this video and asked me to tie the fly for him . There is a step by step for tying this incorporated into the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_Vw1L-sCI

I have used white wooly buggers and the white IPN has a good reputation over here so I wasn't surprised that it was a successful pattern elsewhere. It is really nothing more than a IPN with the weight removed and a 'Magi Head' added.
The heads themselves are called 'Magic Heads' , they come in a number of sizes for use with different size hooks. They can be difficult to find online.
They are one of Marc Petitjean's inventions and like everything else that is connected to that name they are a ridiculous price. You can pay over a fiver for a pack of six of these things. Are they good ? I don't know but I can see the logic behind them and I'm keen to try them out here. It seems to me that they will do their best work with simple flies tied with mobile materials. I've fitted a couple to longer soft worm patterns but haven't used them yet.

Cheers
Jim

Many thanks Jim, I liked the videos and the movement the magic head gave the fly was better than I imagined. I'll have a tour around some ironmonger/DIY places and see if I can find something I can adapt before I go for the original - some thin plastic tubing and a bit of heat might work or even a cut down plastic pipette.
Cheers
John

troutmaddave

Hi, this one is one of the classics. The Green Highlander. Love this pattern this is a version by Kelson.   
Well, kinda my version of his version, didn't use any bustard, don't have a spare £50 for a pair of wing quills!! Happy enough with this one, another first attempt

[attachimg=1]

All the best

Go To Front Page