News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberth

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 23, 2016, 10:40:47 PM
Very neat again Robert. That material looks the business. Do you think it has the density and properties required to build an elliptical type profile or just give the shoulders and back more height ?

The top half is funky hair which doesn't have great density, it's quite sleek and should give good movement. The bottom material is slinky fibre and has much more density.

rannoch raider

Hi Andy, Yes, the cone is made of a very soft silicone and you just push it back over the head of the fly to allow threading.
I wasn't bothered about what you were tying for this year Andy, Like  every other angler who appreciates a drift on a hebridean loch, I'd just like to get a swatch at your fly box to see what you think is worthy of a place. I don't much care about style. There's a style for photographing and there's a style for fishing ! I'm guessing you will have a few in there for fishing ?
Go on, gie's a flash ! :wink:

rannoch raider

Quote from: roberth on February 23, 2016, 11:20:39 PM
The top half is funky hair which doesn't have great density, it's quite sleek and should give good movement. The bottom material is slinky fibre and has much more density.

You've done a great job of aligning the different materials Robert. You are making it look easier than it is. It would be great to find a material that was stiff enough and dense enough to allow a fibre length of about one and a half inches either side of the shank so patterns could be tied with decent 2 to 3 inch flanks but narrow widths to get the small roach/ perch shapes. Any ideas ?

roberth

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 24, 2016, 01:10:17 AM
You've done a great job of aligning the different materials Robert. You are making it look easier than it is. It would be great to find a material that was stiff enough and dense enough to allow a fibre length of about one and a half inches either side of the shank so patterns could be tied with decent 2 to 3 inch flanks but narrow widths to get the small roach/ perch shapes. Any ideas ?

Probably the H2O Slinky Fibre. I would be concerned that it might obstruct the hook though. I'm waiting on some EP fibres coming, I'll post some creations when it arrives.

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 24, 2016, 01:10:17 AM
try putting a tapered bunch of slinky fibre either side of the shank first, to give you the width. or a small bunch of merino hollow-tied at the head to build it up; if i'm understanding what you want to do? if you're talking about getting height & depth without width using the hackle style then chocklett body wrap has very long fibres, but you'll need to trim a lot from the flanks. trimming my "golden orfe" pattern trashed a pair of scissors. it's not cheap either!

or you could just tie one of these the "right" way up, with the body in the vertical plane rather than horizontal?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

I've been opting for the hollow tying styles and while I do like the effect, length and volume, I can see where there would be a benefit in being able to make something with a narrow back and broad flanks like a bream type shape. The chocklett Orfe is probably the sort of thing I'm thinking of. 
I get your point about obstructing the hook gape Robert.

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 24, 2016, 11:05:29 AM
The chocklett Orfe is probably the sort of thing I'm thinking of. 
I get your point about obstructing the hook gape Robert.
as soon as i'd finished it I realised I should've put the hook at the tail, rather than at the head.... it was a bit late by then of course! :roll:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

troutmaddave

Hi guys, another classic salmon fly. Oh no, not another one!!
This one is a famous pattern from the late 19th century.
The Gordon. One of the best high water flies from that period.
Sorry about the head, total car crash!!

[attachimg=1]

troutmaddave

Just a quick pick of my recent efforts. This is my first winter tying classic flies. I'm happy with my progress, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

[attachimg=1]

rannoch raider

Dave, You should have them in a frame mounted on the wall of your man cave ! When you're an old codger they'll remind you that you once had a steady hand and could see ! :lol:
Very nice.

Go To Front Page