News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutmaddave

Haha!
These are going for a swim this Friday afternoon. It's not rained here now for 3 days and the water is looking much better, at last. I'm already an old codger, with shakey hands and I have to wear both pairs of my specks. That's why in surprised they look as good as they do!!

rannoch raider

It's nearly that time...........

Chartreuse Diver. Just sub surface or Booby style deep in the lair of the 'water wolves'. Barbless.

[attachimg=1]

corsican dave

I was looking at this pattern last night Jim. did you use a pre-formed head or make it up from foam sheet? i'm going to go for the latter...
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Pre formed Foam Head Dave. The tying video I watched suggests the use of a Partridge Attitude Extra 4/0 hook which is what I've used. It's a fair size hook so you'll get an indication as to size with that in mind. They are pricey so I might give making one a wee go myself !

corsican dave

yep, 4/0 is a go-to size for me. the two stage head on this is pretty neat and looks great once you've tied it in. note the foam strip build-up on the shank first! unfortunately you have to wade through a bit of guff to get to it. got a couple in a box somewhere. I take a shot or two once I can wean myself away from fly vs jerk videos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GRJp7OUWWE

ps the eyes are naff, aren't they?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

roberth

First attempt at a Chernobyl Ant. Tied on a size 10 Partridge Streamer hook.

[attachimg=1]

fergie

Thats identical {well nearly}to the ones i just recieved from ebay. :D Size ten on mine too and they seem very small for the size of body.

roberth

Quote from: fergie on February 29, 2016, 12:53:46 PM
Thats identical {well nearly}to the ones i just recieved from ebay. :D Size ten on mine too and they seem very small for the size of body.

Very similar, I opted for the plain legs because I'm cheap and the barred version were more expensive!

rannoch raider

These big foam bodied dries are really starting to catch on. The guys who've been to New Zealand seem to rate them quite highly. Has anyone got any patterns that are proven over here they'd like to share ?

Wildfisher

Quote from: rannoch raider on February 29, 2016, 02:45:37 PM
These big foam bodied dries are really starting to catch on

Indeed. Scotland as usual is about 10 years behind the rest of the fishing world.   :lol:   I have been using these home and away for many years now. My Naomi  is hard to beat and deadly. I sometimes use big foam cicada patterns which is the design the Naomi is based on. Big dries also don't have to use foam, see SedgeZilla - ElkZilla. What they all need is legs.

Go To Front Page