News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutmaddave

This one is a spey version of The Jock Scott

[attachimg=1]

First attempt, I'll try another one of the evenings

corsican dave

that's pretty Dave! very neat head; i'm suitably jealous  :8) what size thread do you use, btw? i'm normally using 6/0 or bigger. of course my monstrosities are so crude the finish on the head is irrelevant, but I can still appreciate a good one when I see it
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

troutmaddave

Thanks dave! All my heads turn out different, some are a car crash an some are good like the rogan style back up this page. I use 2 different threads for the salmon flies. If I have some I use the white dyneema from Steve cooper at Cookshill fly tying supplies, well worth a look, but at the moment I'm useing  utc 70 in black and white. This thread flattens out nicely, but I struggle with catching it on my rough stonemason hands and it fraying. Also keeping the number of thread wraps down to a minimum. I try to do 5 wraps on and then back off 3 for the next element. For my trout flies I always use pearsalls silk.

Highlander

Dave & others you want to try Benecchi thread. I stumbled across it some years back, it is an excellent tying thread. The Canadian UNI is probably the most used though worldwide.. Never been a fan of UTC, too shiny & slippy in comparison two the former. Nylon in my opinion is next to useless as a tying thread much preferring Terylene or Polyester based threads.
Pearsalls is a link to the past & is nice to work with but has been superseded by moderns for general tying. I still use it on occasion on my Clyde & Spider patterns.

A wee Pearsall's tied Clyde of my own. I used Black Naples here which if I was honest is a bit too thick for the smaller patterns, the herl hides it well enough & the head is adequate Benecchi 12/0 is ideal for smaller patterne, 14s & below

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

Lovey fly Alan, for what it's worth I use uni thread and have no real reason to change, I bought utc a few years back but didn't like it. I don't want my thread to flatten and split and it really felt like tying with a fine floss. Never tried bennechi but you never know....

Got the tying gear out this morning, tied up this sedgehog. Simple and dead useful, multi purpose kind of pattern. Used a mix of seals fur, Yellow, golden olive, fiery brown, white and a touch of claret. Trying to replicate the cow dung colour that I've used in the past, think this will work just as well.
[attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

Ps Fred it took under 5 minutes ;).....spent 10minutes mixing the seals fur though  :roll:  size 12

Lochan_load

And a point fly, black, gold orange and some peacock....can't go wrong can it??
[attachimg=1]

Bobfly

All you need are a dozen of those sedgehogs and a ticket for the Orkney ferry !!!   :D :D :D
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 20, 2016, 11:10:57 AM
.....spent 10minutes mixing the seals fur though  :roll:

Best way I have found to mix fur is a coffee grinder. I mix a bulk load of it and keep it in a ziplock bag.  Brilliant for making good hare mask dubbing. The grinder also still makes great coffee provided you clean it out first.   :lol:

shad

Quote from: Bobfly on March 20, 2016, 11:18:36 AM
All you need are a dozen of those sedgehogs and a ticket for the Orkney ferry !!!   :D :D :D

Or a dozen of the point flies and a ticket for the Vancouver Island ferry :D

Go To Front Page