News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

I needed a 'fly' that could be fished two or three feet from the bottom of the channel or bed of a former river that is now submerged in a large hydro loch. A booby type tying that had plenty of life and movement and offered a reasonable impression of fishy life that would ring the dinner bell for pike and possibly very big trout. Came up with this.

The hook has been heavily weighted then given buoyancy by the addition of foam above the lead to make it sit upright .

[attachimg=1]

Some very mobile flash was added then the foam was covered in white rabbit strip palmered along its length. A couple of light plastic eyes form the head area before a strip of barred olive 'zonker' is tied in at the head only. The strip is stretched and the hook is then pierced through the strip of skin and pulled down onto the bend of the hook. When this is done under tension the skin shrinks back to its pre stretched form and this causes it to remain securely positioned on the bend. If you want you can also get a sort of barbless effect by nicking the point of the hook back into the zonker strip in the same way as you would mount a soft plastic on this type of hook. Can't wait to give this a swim. Hope it works as planned! :)

[attachimg=2]

corsican dave

i'm sure it'll work just dandy, Jim :D i used the same idea for my CD Evil Genius and i can assure you the foam over lead idea works. they're a b~~ger to cast, tho'....  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Hope so Dave, The casting issue won't be too bad as It'll be used from a boat so should get away with it  :8)

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 14, 2017, 09:51:32 PM
Hope so Dave, The casting issue won't be too bad as It'll be used from a boat so should get away with it  :8)
feck me; might as well use a bait-casting set up & have done with it....  :lol: :lol:

joking aside, tight lines!  :8)
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

rannoch raider

Oh, I'll have the lure rod in the boat too. It'll be next to the fishfinder!  :lol:

corsican dave

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 14, 2017, 10:08:22 PM
Oh, I'll have the lure rod in the boat too. It'll be next to the fishfinder!  :lol:
sweet!

Lochan_load

Extremely interested to see how you get on with that tactic, not heard of anyone trying it. Have a feeling it could be really productive!

corsican dave

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 14, 2017, 11:21:08 PM
Extremely interested to see how you get on with that tactic, not heard of anyone trying it. Have a feeling it could be really productive!

[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]

from last year Andy. unfortunately nothing's latched on yet, but then i didn't do much sunk line work last year  :8)

rannoch raider

A couple of hollow tied Pike muggers.  :)

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Robbie

Go To Front Page