News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

The fish are the true judges of the quality of flies. By the fish you catch the flies can't be bad, but can't see the photos just now.

I've been tying a few nymph's

[attachimg=1]

haresear

Those will work Robbie :D

I am struggling to use a new phone and Windows whatever this version is. Bring back XP :lol:

Hopefully a photo will arrive with this post[attachimg=1]
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Your flee box is almost as boring as mine Alex.  :lol:

I think we river fishers miss out compared to the pike anglers and loch fishers with their tinseled budgies and  florescent multi-coloured  lavy brushes.   :lol:

haresear

On to olives now. This is a hi viz version.
I use the hi viz particularly in a strong wind when the fly gets blown off course during the cast. The yellow helps me pick it out even if it didn't land where it should...[attachimg=1]
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

It's very sombre but what's there is clearly worth its place in the box. You are a big fan of the deer hair then Alex ? It's a material that I often dodge if there's a reasonable alternative. I reckon I must be underestimating its effectiveness. I'll need to get over my phobia and use it more often. Very nice of you to let us have a look in there !  :wink:
That wee Olive is beautiful. Nice split tails !

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 21, 2017, 11:08:11 PM
It's very sombre but what's there is clearly worth its place in the box. You are a big fan of the deer hair then Alex ? It's a material that I often dodge if there's a reasonable alternative. I reckon I must be underestimating its effectiveness. I'll need to get over my phobia and use it more often. Very nice of you to let us have a look in there !  :wink:
That wee Olive is beautiful. Nice split tails !

I got lucky with the tails. The next one will be entirely different I can guarantee.

Aye, the deer hair works fine for me... not that I am any good at tying with it. I don't usually bother stacking it, as you can see. I often use snowshoe hair or calf tail instead of deer for sizes 14 down.

Most of my flies are drab, sombre affairs. When the yellow may duns and the olive uprights come out I will use lighter shades for the bodies when tying but usually a dirty olive superfine dubbing (I think it is blue winged olive) is what I use. Sometimes natural rabbit too for march browns. I rarely bother with ribbing and never varnish.
Protect the edge.

Robbie

That olive is a cracker and some interesting flies in that box. Thanks for sharing, it's always interesting to see others fly boxes especially when they are more experienced or successful in a particular branch of our sport.

haresear

Quote from: Robbie on March 21, 2017, 11:23:24 PM
That olive is a cracker and some interesting flies in that box. Thanks for sharing, it's always interesting to see others fly boxes especially when they are more experienced or successful in a particular branch of our sport.

Thanks Robbie. I tried extra hard to make the olive presentable :)
the hackle is a wee bit long but it will catch fish.

Protect the edge.

haresear

Here's another simple fly that gets me fish. I suppose it is a Griffiths Gnat variation using peacock ice dubbing and with the hackle clipped.[attachimg=1]
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

Quote from: admin on March 21, 2017, 10:52:39 PM
Your flee box is almost as boring as mine Alex.  :lol:

I think we river fishers miss out compared to the pike anglers and loch fishers with their tinseled budgies and  florescent multi-coloured  lavy brushes.   :lol:

here's one of my boxes Fred ........
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page