News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 22, 2017, 12:18:08 AM

here's one of my boxes Fred ........
[attachimg=1]

That reminds me...where are my sunglasses?  :lol:

Alex
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really interesting to see that Griffiths Gnat you've put up Alex. I met three guys up at Tomdoun years ago and we got blethering about flies for the area. They told me that they were going to fish Poulary with dries. They had done it the previous day and had some success with an almost identical pattern. They gave me a couple to try on the river section above Inchlaggan where I was headed for and they had also cut the hackles along the belly as you've done with yours. They also pulled up the hackles into a sort of V shape and they reckoned it made a massive difference to the standard tying.
I blanked that day, I'll blame conditions !

I tied a stack of them but up until now I've never really given them a chance ! It's good to learn that I didn't waste my time and that they do work , well at least in the right hands !

[attachimg=1]

Not trimmed yet.

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 22, 2017, 12:47:40 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really interesting to see that Griffiths Gnat you've put up Alex. I met three guys up at Tomdoun years ago and we got blethering about flies for the area. They told me that they were going to fish Poulary with dries. They had done it the previous day and had some success with an almost identical pattern. They gave me a couple to try on the river section above Inchlaggan where I was headed for and they had also cut the hackles along the belly as you've done with yours. They also pulled up the hackles into a sort of V shape and they reckoned it made a massive difference to the standard tying.
I blanked that day, I'll blame conditions !

I tied a stack of them but up until now I've never really given them a chance ! It's good to learn that I didn't waste my time and that they do work , well at least in the right hands !

[attachimg=1]

Not trimmed yet.

Aye they work on the Clyde anyway. I don't usually trim them all. I leave some untrimmed in case the fish prefer a high floater as they sometimes do.
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 22, 2017, 12:18:08 AM
here's one of my boxes Fred ........

A very nice box of flies Jim. That reminds me I have not yet started the topic for fly box photos. Must get round to that when I get a moment. 

haresear

Quote from: borderbob on March 22, 2017, 02:33:21 AM
Jings Alex , I was always told never to  `clip ` hackles , but that was a few years ago . :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will never be a good technical flydresser  Bob . I  do feel guilty when I give the fly a haircut and there is no doubt that the properly dressed fly looks much nicer to the human eye.
Thankfully the trout don't seem to mind.  :worms
Protect the edge.

Highlander

A proper box of flies.

None of your drab stuff

:roll:

A Style I have been thinking/tinkering about for some time now

Pheasant & Orange (Tummel Style) Size 16 Head/wing a bit big but all in all in keeping with the marque

" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Robbie

rannoch raider

Traditional to the bone ! lovely flies. I'd be very happy chasing loch sea trout and wild browns with that box in my pocket.  :)

silverbutcher

Brawest box of flies I've seen. As Robbie says..beautiful.

Billy

haresear

Some more functional ammo.
I like the F fly for casting into a wind. They may not have much mass but they are aerodynamic. I sometimes add a spiky thorax as I have with two of these. The other one has a thorax of dubbed cdc. [attachimg=1]
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page