News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

It's great to see these Alex. I've been using very similar F fly patterns and unusually for me, I've managed to fool the odd troot into thinking they were food. :) I have given up tying traditional feather winged dry flies as my eyes aren't what they used to be. CDC is much easier to tie in and makes for great emergers. I think those of us who don't fish running water regularly often have a belief that experienced, successful river men like yourself and some others on here are using highly detailed secret patterns that lesser mortals can't tie or buy . I think a lot of people get put off fishing rivers with dries because there is still a bit of mystery surrounding what successful river anglers are using. Really enjoying your input here. You are giving me the notion to visit rivers more often.

Lochan_load

Managed to get all these done  :lol: [attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

Is that an offer?  :lol: it was actually alright Andy and tying all those flies has been good practice, definitely speeded me up!

Lochan_load

Cleansing myself with some spiders for a trip in may, first time tying these so all comments welcome
[attachimg=1]

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 25, 2017, 10:26:27 AM
Cleansing myself with some spiders for a trip in may, first time tying these so all comments welcome
[attachimg=1]

Those look perfect. Just what I would expect from your hands :D
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

Thanks, I could get used to tying these, thread and hackle and maybe a bit of fluff!

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 25, 2017, 12:32:28 PM
Thanks, I could get used to tying these, thread and hackle and maybe a bit of fluff!

They do work :) even on lochs.
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

I'll never palmer a b175 again!  :lol:  :lol:

haresear

Quote from: Lochan_load on March 25, 2017, 12:58:18 PM
I'll never palmer a b175 again!  :lol:  :lol:
Think of the money you will save on genetic hackles :)
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on March 23, 2017, 01:37:44 PM
I think a lot of people get put off fishing rivers with dries because there is still a bit of mystery surrounding what successful river anglers are using. Really enjoying your input here. You are giving me the notion to visit rivers more often.

Thanks and you are very welcome. :D

For me, my choice of dry fly is quite straightforward most of the time. It is a case of keen observation regarding what is happening on the surface. Sometimes there is a hatch and yet no fish showing. In that case there is little point in soldiering on with imitations of the flies they are ignoring :) A nymph will likely be a better bet, or even a big terrestrial might bring up a fish.

when nothing was happening yesterday (snow melt meant hardly any rises) I snapped a coupe of photos of my two boxes. Neat fly tiers and the faint hearted might want to look away  :)

Dries[attachimg=1]

Heavy metal[attachimg=2]

Nymphs[attachimg=3]

Wets etc[attachimg=4]
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page