News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochan_load

And two klinks, tricky little feckers these, did the one on the right first but think it has too much hackle? [attachimg=1]

Lochan_load

This should float  :shock: stimulator, I've seen them online a lot but think it's an American thing, does anyone fish them over here? [attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Andy, you have developed into  a great fly tier.  These neat flies put  us auld duffers to shame.    :lol:

haresear

Quote from: admin on April 01, 2017, 03:31:27 PM
Andy, you have developed into  a great fly tier.  These neat flies put  us auld duffers to shame.    :lol:

Absolutely :)

Andy, that klink looks fine to me. It would make a good fast water fly.
As for stimulators. I have used them with some success, but mainly in NZ and Canada. I hate those hooks though...200r I think? I have had priblems hooking fish with those and have lost a lot of fish using them.
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

Thanks always appreciate the positive comments, I've been enjoying doing some river flies after doing loch style all winter. Very different and a bit out the comfort zone but good to try. Those hooks are a bit like the jlinkhammer extreme without the bend, can see them being a bit shit but like the bend  :roll:

Highlander

Yeah looks like the Tiemco R200 hook. A nice shape for Sedge imitations as well but as Alex says a poor hooker. I have used Stimulators greased up as a dry "wake" type fly for night fishing for Trout & Sea Trout.
The Stimulator Fly style usually has a front hackle in contrast to the rear palmered one
IE A brown/ginger body hackle & a front hackle of Badger or similar. A contrast. I believe the original American pattern was a big Stonefly imitation something like a Golden Stone or used in The Salmon Fly hatch on the big western rivers.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Lochan_load

Don't know the make off hand but it's a 10 and the gape is like a 14 and Looks ideal for leverage  :roll:
Alan the hackle on it is a cream and brown grizzle but the light caught it and makes it look really white, contrast makes sense though.
Andy if you're struggling for flies I know someone local who's selling some good ones :P

Tweed

Just started playing around with these - a bit rough and ready, but starting to get a feel for them now . . .

[attachimg=1]

scoobyscott

Few CDC duns that have been doing the damage lately

Lochan_load

Really like those duns, I'll have a go at that.....one before bed, klinkhammer hook (not extreme!) sz16, red thorax
[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page