News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoobyscott

Are you fishing the rivers with them Alex?

haresear

Quote from: scoobyscott on May 18, 2017, 02:13:34 PM
Are you fishing the rivers with them Alex?

Sure am. They seem to be workink ok. I have just landed this on a wee gnat...
Protect the edge.

scoobyscott

Good job that is a bonnie trout. Might knock a few up before I head out tonight

rannoch raider

Quote from: haresear on May 18, 2017, 02:19:56 PM
Sure am. They seem to be workink ok. I have just landed this on a wee gnat...

Aye, I think you're right Alex, they're working ok ! Feck me ! what a fish ! :lol: I'd start selling them right away if I was you.

Bobfly

Cracking trout there Alex. You have been doing very well with those gnats  :D
(Almost but not quite as heavy as my cast iron wagon wheel deid thing out the river which has scrubbed up nicely and after a Kurust treatment is looking very smart in the garden.   :8) :8))
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

rannoch raider

Tried tying a few 'Jinglers' today. It's a series and style of fly I'd  never heard of until recently. Described as a soft hackled dry fly it uses a partridge hackle to provide movement and hopefully attraction. It can be tied in your choice of colours. I think its quite an unusual dry fly and I'm not sure how it settles on the water but it seems to have gained a bit of a reputation so it'll get a swim. I'm pretty sure I've tied it in the desired style with the bigger hackles, etc but I'd appreciate a bit of constructive criticism from anyone who ties and fishes the pattern. :wink:
All three are tied on size 14 Fulling Mill Ultimate Dry Fly hooks.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]

haresear

Those jinglers look fine to me. The olive one would make a good mayfly dun in a size 12
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

That's good to hear Alex. I'm still unconvinced of it's worth to be honest. I can't really get my head round fishing a dry fly that needs to be a wet fly to get the best out of the soft partridge! It just reminds me of an oversized, over hackled spider. Having said that, it does seem to have a lot of fans. There are a lot of very good fishers out there singing it's praises. I am trying to build a decent modern dry fly box for Scottish rivers so it will be in there. Strange you should mention the mayfly. I spoke to a guy yesterday who was telling me about Scottish mayfly hatches. :wink:

haresear

I tie something very similar to your jinglers and have done well with them at the start of the season in LDO and MB hatches. There are still some large flies around on the rivers but the fish are getting picky and most fish I am gettinf are on smaller stuff.
I might be doing a bit of mayfly fishing myself shortly so I'll tie a few olive jimglers too
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

My first attempt at a Paraloop Dun. Size 14.

[attachimg=1]

Paraloop is a tying method rather than a pattern I must say I really like this style of fly. A bit like an "airy" Comparadun tied without deer hair to some of which   I have a bit of an allergy and try to avoid.  It should be possible to tie these down to really small sizes.

Go To Front Page