News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

That's a beautiful pattern Pete, it looks like it will have a bit of movement in the water. What is the soft olive feather in the hackle ?

pedropete

the book asks for a golden olive hen, it's as close as I have to it,lovely as it is though.

saorsa74

Cracking flies as always Pete, they look deadly.

corsican dave

those killer bugs couldn't be easier, Pete.

2x hook, wire (from inside electrical flex) run a couple of times along hook shank, leave tail end at bend. wind on yarn (like a 2-ply wool) from eye, a couple of times along shank to build up body, finish at bend. tightly wrap wire over tag end three of four times. trim, add a dob of varnish or super-glue (!) to stop it unravelling.

no thread required. simples!  :8)

If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

pedropete

thanks for the instructions dave, ill dig out the yarn i have and have another crack..just struggle to keep the maggot profile haha..

thanks, scott..as always mate!!

corsican dave

i think the yarn's quite specific. or at least having the right type helps.
Jamiesons Shetland Spindrift works for me. gives a nice ribbed effect with no ribbing required
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

pedropete

Aaah, now we're talking, thanks for that dave, appreciated.

pedropete

any shade in particular ? some of those oatmeal tones look usable.

corsican dave

Quote from: pedropete on July 24, 2017, 04:58:38 PM
any shade in particular ? some of those oatmeal tones look usable.
take your pick! i just robbed the wife's knitting bag! i'm going to be looking out for a bright green & a pink next time i'm in town. apparently the 290 oyster is the one that's closest to the original Sawyer pattern

corsican dave

Go To Front Page