News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bibio1

The best hood ever for emergers

pedropete

very much a prototype, clash of the patterns as it were, teal dabbler esque...prob needs something else...

rannoch raider

it's easy to see that its well tied Pete. It's quite an unusual colour scheme, while it's quite common to see a touch of blue and orange on salmon flies it's not something you see everyday on trout style flies. When you see that combination as such a big part of the dressing it sort of takes the senses by surprise ! I had to look at it for a wee while before my eyes settled down! Blue, orange and silver are all good colours for sea troot, especially in salt water so why not ? when you look at the colours of some Orkney flies you could even say it was quite subdued. I'm thinking bright and windy day in clear saltwater ?  :8)

pedropete

jim..im with ya ..I think you described it in a fashion. I still think there is something missing maybe a cloak of some description...its a test pattern..it would be great to get a series of pattern that appealed to all species.might be a turn to muckle orange...maybe something else who knows..

pedropete

haha yep i had a feeling you might andy, ill put it back in the vice for a rethink.

Robbie

I like it, perfect for some coloured water. Addition of bronze mallard is a great suggestion.

scoobyscott

Nice fly I think a head hackle of bronze mallard woukd set it off nicely.
Still on the bugs myself
[attachimg=1

pedropete

i like the wee frenchie style nymphs,never tried it with a cdc collar.looks nice scott.

rannoch raider

The black with silver bead and red tag seems very popular Scott. I had a few on a simple silver ribbed black with silver bead this year. I can see how a wee red hotspot might add a little to the pattern but I'm not sure about the addition of CDC ? I know it's a very popular addition and that a lot of fishers swear by it but in my minds eye I just envisage it wrapping itself round the fly in a sort of messy untidy way and it robs me of confidence. I've tied a few but I don't know if they'll ever get a swim unless I nip the CDC off.  :lol:

scoobyscott

Thanks guys. I'm not sure if the cdc makes a big difference to the fish. In angling active they have a tank with several flies in it and a wee motor making a current. There's a cdc nymph in it and the barbs of cdc flutter in the current. Certainly adds 'life' to the fly. The red tag gives a nice hot spot as well and is worth adding, a good fly if there's a bit colour in the water

Go To Front Page