News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

Quote"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty."

Edward R. Hewitt

I rest my case   :roll:
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

rannoch raider

Without wishing to be controversial, I have the highest respect for the dry fly fisherman who can bring a dozen belters up to four pounds to the net over three days having mastered the art of observation, stealth, presentation and fishing in ridiculously poor conditions, as he has mastered the 'feckin near impossible' and hath left many of us scratching our 'Tam McGraws' as to how this is done! :lol:
No need to look to the past when forward thinking anglers are in our midst :wink:

haresear

Quote from: rannoch raider on May 25, 2018, 01:49:50 AM
Without wishing to be controversial, I have the highest respect for the dry fly fisherman who can bring a dozen belters up to four pounds to the net over three days

Ahem....that catch was in one day and it was three over 4lb :oops:

Quote from: Highlander on May 24, 2018, 11:41:40 PM
I rest my case   :roll:

Each to their own favourite method, but that said, I will be pulling flees on Watten if that is what the fish decide they want. :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

rannoch raider

Yep, adapt and overcome :wink:. I'm a believer in that but there's an old saying in my line of work that is 'never overlook the obvious'.  :wink:

Lochan_load

I think there's a lot more to wet fly than some think and fly selection, where to find fish, fishing the conditions etc add a lot of problem solving and subtlety's to the sport that people don't always recognise. Having said that watching someone who has mastered dry fly fishing on a river is a thing of beauty and I for one have the greatest respect for the more feminine end of our sport  :lol:

haresear

Before we get into a lather here :) I think most of us would agree that the angler who has mastered all the disciplines and can switch according to conditions is the one who is most likely to catch more fish over a period. I have a great deal of respect for all rounders such as our own sagecirca who has fished for his country at the highest level.

Over the years I have come to realise what methods I prefer to fish so that is what I do. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate the skills of others who prefer to fish differently. Quite the reverse in fact, as there have beeb many days whenI wondered what my boat partner was doing to catch fish whike I struggled :?

Just by way of clarification....
Lochan Load is tying some wet flies for me for my forthcoming trip to Caithness. Any apparently disparaging comments by me
regarding wet fly fishing are just my dry sense of humour coming out.  :)

None of this will matter shortly anyway once Trump provokes ant number of countries into WW3.

Alex
P.S. What have you tied today? :)

Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

I'll do whichever suits the conditions, dry fly on lochs is deadly and exciting at the right times. I do it on rivers (badly!) and I enjoy it all. I just like to yank people's chain  :lol: and if I could fish a dry like Alex I'd die a happy man. I'll be honest I don't really see the distinction, you fish what will take you fish on a day.

Lochan_load

Quote from: haresear on May 25, 2018, 09:45:49 AM

Alex
P.S. What have you tied today? :)

Bugger all, some of us have to work for a living   :makefun don't worry I'll be on it, might even do a couple of dries ;)

SoldierPmr

One for the Neath trout.

[attachimg=1]

haresear

Quote from: SoldierPmr on May 25, 2018, 06:12:52 PM
One for the Neath trout.

[attachimg=1]

Man that will take a lot of floatant :lol:
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page