News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedropete

thanks for the explanation on salmon hooks, na not me andy hahaha it looks great ,very fishy!! paul what kind of blue you after?kingfisher,teal,cobalt etc?

bibio1

A teal or Cambridge blue from  a bleached patch. Definitely not after royal blue......too dark

Laxdale

Quote from: burnie on August 26, 2018, 01:14:45 PM
My understanding re the Salmon hooks these days is that when Salmon are allowed to be taken, folk think trebles give them a better chance of a hook up holding. In this day and age most beats are catch and release, so barbless doubles and singles are the norm as a conservation method. I prefer de-barbed doubles myself as the swim nicely in the water, though once the leaves start falling from the trees a single can be better. The fish don't seem to care what you throw at them, if they are there and you can irritate one into having a go, you'll get one, so far the only thing irritated is me, not a pull...yet.

I was kindly gifted a good few flies from a mate last season All the barbless ones he sent went right in the bin pdq! I have never fished a beat that insisted on either singles, doubles or barbless. Regardless of recommendations from local fishery boards. Hook type tends to be decided by what pattern/ method I am fishing.
eg. Muddlers always singles.
Monkeys/Sunrays always doubles
Frances always trebles.

Clan Chief

Tied tonight! A couple of bushy Clan Chief variants

Robbie

Paul, I got a nice-ish patch of blue deer belly a couple of years ago. Might be Wapsi, pretty sure I picked it up from Angus Angling.

Was also thinking of dying up some of my own, but was going to try kingfisher blue on some lighter I bleached roe.

In the mean time I threw this together, thinking it might be useful towards the end of the season and/or coloured water:

[attachimg=1]

bibio1

Robbie,
That looks good. If it works keep me a bit.

Paul

Robbie

Quote from: bibio1 on August 26, 2018, 11:11:39 PM
That looks good. If it works keep me a bit.

Thanks Paul and I will do.

rannoch raider

Quite a nice brown there Robbie. That wee muddler has a nice sort of Invicta thingy about it.  I bet it works just as well.

pedropete

nice weets allan,whats your choice on the head hackle?? also have k/f blue over bleached if you need a piece!! i dyed it for zulu muddler type of things. tidy robbie,is that w.o.i. deer hair?

Clan Chief

With regards to head hackle it's a claret hen. it was fairly dark but in the pic it looks brighter!

Go To Front Page