News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewaterbouys

Hook For pulling Kasman 175 10-12.For top of the water work 12-16 B400.
     Body Pearl tinsil
      RibSilver oval x small
      Small pinch of Deer hair
      Hackle Black Hen or cock.

For more tyings check Fly Tying data base, Game Spiders or just the letter g.

Hope this helps have fun :D :D

River Chatter

This is my nomination. I've caught loads of trout from my wee river on it this past season. It's been a fantastic fly for me and it's tied using materials found in just about every fly dresser's collection. I think it's a bit more imitative than flies dressed with seals fur too and I like that it has an old-fashioned quality about it.

Hook: Kamasan B400 Trout Emerger Surface Film #14
Tread: Brown
Body: 2 strands cock pheasant tail
Rib: fine copper wire wound opposite direction to body material
Hackle: Cheap mongrel chinese neck cape with mixture of colours on every hackle ranging from grizzly brown, red game and white
Tail: Several wisps from above cape

River Chatter

Cheers Col. Fashions come and go I suppose. I'm not a tweed and cane fly fisher, but this wee fly just appeals to me. :D

east wind

Quote from: River Chatter on December 08, 2008, 03:22:23 PM
Hook: Kamasan B400 Trout Emerger Surface Film #14
Tread: Brown
Body: 2 strands cock pheasant tail
Rib: fine copper wire wound opposite direction to body material
Hackle: Cheap mongrel chinese neck cape with mixture of colours on every hackle ranging from grizzly brown, red game and white
Tail: Several wisps from above cape 

RC

Very similar to the March Brown i will always have with me up to late April. Just add a brown partridge hackle behind the red game or brown grizzle. Both hackles being a bit longer than pictured. Very, very effective.

Hook, K170 #14. Soft or cheap hackles.

Col, i only touch the very top of the hackle with floatant and the fly sits pretty low in the water. The partridge feather in particular works well and seems to give the appearance of the real thing trying to unravel itself. 

Cheers,

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

River Chatter

Do you tie the brown partridge as a full hackle clipped underneath? Most March Browns I see are really heavily dressed. I wonder about this as the natural is similar to other olives, just darker. 

Wildfisher

Quote from: River Chatter on December 08, 2008, 10:50:24 PM
Most March Browns I see are really heavily dressed. I wonder about this as the natural is similar to other olives, just darker. 

I have never understood that either. I have caught a few cracking  trout on the Don and Deveron over the last few seasons using a size 12 very dark olive parachute when the fish were taking march browns

east wind

Full hackle, not clipped. I find the partridge soft enough to let the body sit quite low in the water and the small brown feathers have a mottled effect similar to the real thing.

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

River Chatter

I'll tie a few up and give at a go. Do you have a pic to post?

Malcolm

Quote from: River Chatter on December 08, 2008, 10:50:24 PM
Do you tie the brown partridge as a full hackle clipped underneath? Most March Browns I see are really heavily dressed. I wonder about this as the natural is similar to other olives, just darker. 

It is quite a heavy fly though. I was looking through my collection of insect pictures but the March brown photies are crap - however you can see what I mean.

[attach = 1]

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

thewaterbouys

Nice Pic Malcolm

Heres a Woven nympth that ive tied tonight.
Sorry about th picture Quality as i could not get the view of the wieve along the sides of the nympth.
Henry  :D

Go To Front Page