News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clan Chief

Like that . Not tried the weaving method yet.

Tied a few of these up tonight. I use this pattern at my local water, Hillend with decent results during the summer months..............
Hook= 10 & 12
Thread = Yellow
Tail =  Pheasant tail dyed yellowy golden colour
Body = rusty Orange uni floss
Rib = small silver wire
Body hackle  = red game cock
Front hackle = Brown Partridge

River Chatter

They look brill Col. Makes me want to cook up a few myself... got the recipes?

River Chatter

east wind

Some superb tying and pictures here. Will a frenzy develop in the month before opening day ?

Quote from: River Chatter on December 08, 2008, 11:38:41 PM
I'll tie a few up and give at a go. Do you have a pic to post?

RC, am now getting to grips with my camera and will post a pic at some point or i can send you a couple.

Quote from: col on December 08, 2008, 11:35:29 PM
These flies  of yours sound a lot like Ginglers east wind , almost like a wet fished dry.

Col, in many ways it does lie like a wet fly. I'm sure the pattern was lifted from Bert Sharp's book and is classed as a dry spider, a cock hackle is used. I learned to tie at a club that bore his name and the way demonstrated was to tie the hackles in first, do the body etc then build up and whip finish behind the hackles while covering them with a hollowed out split quill. The result was to set the hackles forward in a conical shape.
Then again mibee that's how they are all done.

In slower water i fish it low and in faster stuff gink the top of the hackles more. It does the biz.

Cheers,

EW
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

thewaterbouys

Well done Clan Chief this is a great thread cracking flys being tyied,plenty wee tips getting passed about,just what we need during the closed season :applause :applause.

Bordertrout your right theres more than us that like the thread. :D :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: thewaterbouys on December 11, 2008, 07:20:22 PM
Bordertrout your right theres more than us that like the thread. :D :D

It's open to public view Henry, so gets a lot of exposure.

Even some who have "left" the forum are reading it every day, great things computers.   :biglaugh;

One of the best threads we have had for a long time.

thewaterbouys

I am still learning computer but getting better. I have got to learn to take better pics of the flys, i will have to find Superscots wee studio he made for taking good pics. :D :D

Clan Ford

I tied a few copper wired spiders this afternoon.

Norm

[attachimg=1]

Clan Chief

Really like that Norm. I'm gonna tie some of those, looks a gid pattern. 
Im getting good inspiration from the posts on here, Exactly my intention for this thread. Cheers guys.

Wildfisher

all this talk above about march broons - this is what I tend to use - have caught some crackers with it too

[attachimg=1]

Go To Front Page