News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

It is indeed the Shipmans Malcolm.   After a wee discussion with Bob over the pros and cons of my wee mate John's Loch Maddys, it was agreed that we would try the Shipmans on our leader as long as we had a Loch Maddy on.  The Loch Maddy won that contest but the cdc/elk was actually the most successful fly that day.   I do like the looks of Deergravy's Shipmans though.  And as a wee aside, the biggest trout caught in the West are with the worm/toby or Dapping which I believe is a dry fly  :roll:   Norm's dabblers would do well.

Davie

deergravy

Yeah, they're just big, extra- bushy shipmans. The body is wapsi natural dubbing blend in Hares ear colour. It's great, very buggy stuff. I've also mixed in a few strands of deer hair and spun it in a dubbing loop.
Big hairy, ugly dries are always worth carrying, I reckon.

Dave

Wildfisher

Quote from: buzz on December 12, 2008, 10:43:22 PM
F*** it.
They say big flies catch big fish.
6# and a sink tip line at the ready.
If you see someone wearing a crash helmet by the river, introduce yourself :lol:

How many tins of cat food does that thing eat in a week Mark?  :D

.D.

Quote from: deergravy on December 13, 2008, 03:58:32 PM
Yeah, they're just big, extra- bushy shipmans. The body is wapsi natural dubbing blend in Hares ear colour. It's great, very buggy stuff. I've also mixed in a few strands of deer hair and spun it in a dubbing loop.
Big hairy, ugly dries are always worth carrying, I reckon.

Dave

Have you ever tried tying them almost entirely from Snowshoe Hare fur?

(not tied today, but over a year ago: I've hardly tied a thing yet this Winter)

That's with the coarse fur from around the toes of a natural foot for the tufts, and a mixture of coarse hairs and underfur from the 'pad' (of a dyed foot) for the body. Uni pearl mylar rib.

.D.

The General

Derek you and Norm tie the dabblers.  How do you prefer to fish them.  This was a hot topic at the fly tying the other night.   I saw one used to great effect on Bad a Chreamh on a day when the fishes were turning down all else.  It wasn't ginked but didnt go much below the surface.

Davie

The General

Hello Col
Than you for response.   As you mentioned weighting on flies, here are a couple of photos of some stuff given to me at the last fly tyer's night.
It comes on a roll similar to a large roll of cellotape and is made by 3M.  It was said it was used in helicopter production but not sure how!
It is sticky backed  and very managable.

Davie

The General

Friggin hell Col how do you measure density of lead  :shock:   It is similar in density to the wee rectangular pieces you can buy as fly tying material.
I shudder to think how much the roll costs.   Ex employee priviledges used to remove it me thinks.

Davie

thewaterbouys

This is a woven Hares ear olive Emerger.pics not great.

scotfly

Just going out, so I'll show a few more tomorrow. Untill then though here's a little taster

HOOK - Varivas 2300 #30
THREAD - Spider Web
POST - TMC Aero Wing
SHUCK - Fiery Brown Seal's Fur
BODY - Grey Beaver Dubbing (wcbflytying)
HACKLE - Grizzle Cock

deergravy

QuoteHave you ever tried tying them almost entirely from Snowshoe Hare fur?

I haven't, but thats a bloody good idea!
I'm thinking:
A mixture of dun snowshoe, wapsi 'hare's ear' cat pelt (or whatever it is), and sika deer, now we're talking!
I'll knock out a few of them asap.

dave

Go To Front Page