News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawhin

Thanks guys. Couple more here (though the indoor shots are not so clear). I like the 'mallard' and claret type with the woodcock shoulder hackle but maybe it's me but there's something just not right about the second one - a hint of the demonic perhaps?!  :lol:

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Alistair, hooks are a mixture of Fulling Mill (I do like FM hooks) Super Sedge and a bog standard generic grub hook both in 14's.   

Cheers,

Ian

Malcolm

Ian
The fly tying world is divided into those who take more than 2 minutes to tie a fly and those who take less. We're in different camps!

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

.D.

I've actually managed to tie something today.

Green-tailed Kate McLaren Elk Hair Sedge :roll:

The dyed brown elk hair shows up remarkably well on the water :).

.D.

Crawhin

Nice flee that D. - very tidy and lovely crisp indoor shot of it too.

Ian

.D.

Quote from: Crawhin on February 01, 2009, 05:05:22 PM
Nice flee that D. - very tidy and lovely crisp indoor shot of it too.

Ian

Thanks.

I notice you use GP tippets quite a lot (as shucks?) in your dry/film flies. It's quite odd that that isn't done more widely, given their popularity in older loch-style flies. They don't seem to use them  'across the pond' much on dries either, but for 'Trude' style downwings. And the Royal Coachman etc. I think a Snowshoe Adams Trude on a fine(ish) wire curved grub hook with tippet tails and a partially clipped hackle would make quite a nice general purpose film fly. I may have to rustle some up.

.D.

Crawhin

.D. - You've got to figure that a good proportion of the tails on traditional patters represent shucks and tippet tails have been used on patterns for so long that they have to be doing something right. I just like them slimmer and a little longer than on the commercially avalaible jobs otherwise there's no life and movement to them for me. Would like to see your snowshoe Adams trude idea - go for it. 

Malcolm - got the half capes the other day(many thanks again) and was really struck by how lovely the honey couloured one is. I haven't really got round to tying much from it but the golden colour with darker banding on the larger feathers just looked to me like the flanks of a wee golden trout parr. So have had an initial shot at rustling up a flee with this. Nothing too fancy; just a holographic gold body varnished (to shine through a bit) tie the banded hackles down while the varnish is still a little tacky to hold them in place. A false beard of red grizzle hackle fibres for a flash of throat colour and optional JC eyes complete it.  Needs a bit more work (possibly paired feathers each side for a more solid shape or a muddled head) but I can think of a few wee lochans where something like this might bring a surprise fished in the shallows or round the boulders.  :8)

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Cheers,

Ian   

Clan Chief

Well then,thats a very nice try Buzz

Tied this tonight.........

The General

Harpo

Col, you must have a wing of your palace dedicated to flee boxes !, great flees though!

muddler54

first time ,hope it works

Go To Front Page