News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian_M

Quote from: muddler54 on February 12, 2009, 06:31:03 PM
its getting the crest curled right

If your GP crest is not curled to your satisfaction or is twisted then give it a good coating of slavers and stick inside the rim of a small glass.  When dry it will retain its shape.
Ian

muddler54

ahh good idea ian,cheers for that,  my fly-tying teacher john sinclair, hes always sucking werthers originals and im sure thats the best slavers for the job cos he ties beautiful flies
wonder if the fish like werthers mmmmm......mick

Malcolm

[attach = 1]

Left row Top to bottom

Foam backed beetles with and without rubber legs
CDC Hopper
Hopper

Middle row

Seals Fur Dries
Partridge and red spider
CDC Buzzer

Right row

Cross between a Netopir Dry and Ballon Sedge (You cant see it but it has 8 palmered CDC hackles) - super buoyant bite indicator!
3 CDCs
my version of the Wooly bugger. This has dumbell eyes but often I use Goldheads or Hot heads instead

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Clan Ford

A rubber legged bug....

[attach = 1]

Never had any luck with a rubber legged nymph, not that I fish them much :roll: but a collegue who is planning a trip to the US reckons they do well out there.

Norm

Clan Ford

Quote from: col on February 13, 2009, 06:40:33 PM
Nice looking flies guys, Is that a knapek hook Norm?
Col

Aye Col, it is indeed a knapek.  Bought a load a couple of seasons back after reading some rave reviews but I find the quality a bit hit and miss :(  I'll not be buying them again but I do like the barbless hook point.  I'll have to do some research on alterantives.

Norm

Crawhin

My favourite fresh-run sea trout flee - if you are lucky enough to find any these days! No name. Especially good as a Loch point fly. Nothing ground-breaking (really it's just a variation on the venerable old Teal, Blue and Silver/Medicine Fly) but it's simple, easy to tie and works for me. The body I vary between silver lurex with pearly tinsel over or (like here) silver holographic tinsel. Wing and hackle are just Guinea fowl in natural and blue respectively and then large JC eyes to finish. This one's on a red hook just for a change but a regular 8 or 10 long shank or tied sparse on a LW Salar silver job also works.

[attachimg=1]

Some emerger type flees with herl bodies wound over coloured tinsel so that the tinsel shines through the gaps. Couple of coats of varnish to finish gives you bodies with a bit of translucence and flash for bright days:-

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

Cheers,

Ian

Ian_M

Ian

Clan Chief

Agree with all above. The first one is a work of art. Stunning!

Crawhin

Thanks chaps - very kind words but really it's amazing what you can do with good lighting and the macro setting .  :8)

Fachan - feel free mate. Untried at present but looks like it might do a turn in an olive hatch in bright conditions. (That one was a green tinsel body with stripped peacock quill over, Olive deer hair wing with green hare's ear thorax and hackle).

Cheers,

Ian

Fishtales

Could you resize the first two please Brian. Then re-attach them, don't forget to tick the boxes under Additional options where it says untick the boxes of the ones you don't want to keep, or something like that :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Go To Front Page