News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

Much better Brian.
Nice AoS too, very well tied and proportioned.  :8)

Black-Don

I've been dabbling in the black arts over the weekend. Still a bit to go dabbler wise but I'm getting there thanks to Davy mcPhail and U tube. The centre fly is the first attempt and the outside flies are the latest.

I've tried the photograph adjustments you suggested Sandy but I think I need better lighting and a macro lens for what I'm trying to achieve.

.D.

Quote from: guest on March 08, 2009, 09:59:00 PM
I've been dabbling in the black arts over the weekend. Still a bit to go dabbler wise but I'm getting there thanks to Davy mcPhail and U tube. The centre fly is the first attempt and the outside flies are the latest.

I've tried the photograph adjustments you suggested Sandy but I think I need better lighting and a macro lens for what I'm trying to achieve.

Something you may like to consider if you're unhappy with your shots, before splashing out on a macro lens.

I've just had a cheeky look at the exif data from your picture, and notice you've used a large aperture (f5). You'll get shallow depth of field at that aperture, and if it's around the maximum aperture you'll probably get the poorest performance from your lens - even some expensive lenses perform poorly wide open.

Try using a smaller aperture (confusingly, a larger f-stop). Initially, assuming you are using a tripod, try something around f8 or 11. The sweet spot of any lens is usually somewhere around the middle f numbers. For those sort of 'group hug' pictures that should provide adequate depth of field too. If not, you can drop down further to f16.

You could also try taking the same picture outside (assuming it's not windy) or in a greenhouse using high overcast natural light. At least you might find out if it's the lighting that's causing what you consider a problem rather than the lens.

.D.

Black-Don

I was given some advice elsewhere re cropping pictures which has helped loads.

Thanks for your advice .D. it might be just what's required to sharpen the whole thing up. It's too late to be messing about anymore tonight but I'll have a look at implementing your suggestions soon.   :8)

This was the latest off the vice and I think I'm getting closer.

scotfly

Took Mrs Scotfly to the new Ikea store in Southamton yesterday, I also managed to facilitate a visit to Hobbycraft.  :D
Result was some Organza ribbon, to play with later, and a few spools of Gutermann's. One of which is a sort of variegated olive colour. It is labelled as Gutermann Sulky 100% cotton, CA02776, COL4020. It's a little thicker than Pearsal's, so getting a nice head was difficult, but I like the results.

HOOK - Kamasan B175 #14
THREAD - See Above (unwaxed)
HACKLE - Brown Partridge
BODY - Single layer of thread wrapped from shoulder to bend
RIB - Thread wrapped back up to the shoulder in an open spiral.

Exactly the same pattern, but this time I waxed the thread.

I?ve also tied some Quigley Cripples.
This is the Danica version.
Danica version.

HOOK - TMC100 #10
THREAD - Brown 8/0
TAIL - Downy fibres from the base of an Olive dyed Grizzle cock hackle
RIB - Brown Floss
BODY - Cream Spectrablend
THORAX - Peacock Ice Dub
WING - Coastal Deer Hair
HACKLE - Olive dyed Grizzle Cock.

After tying this one someone suggested I try it on a curved hook and me being me I couldn?t resist playing.

TMC2487 #14

TMC400T #14

Partridge Klinkhamer Extreme #20

muddler54

playing with deer hair and fachans roe buck..... tricky this photography
  hit or a miss if they turn out....

deergravy

Like the look of those Kates, Breac,
I'm always banging on about how good the loch ordie is, I'll be interested to see if this fly is as good.
The question being - is it the contrasting white hackle that makes the difference?
I know white-hackled pennels and invictas have been around for a while.

Dave

Clan Ford

They look good to me Breac,

I'm sure they will catch plenty fish.

Norm

River Chatter

Look really good to me too... nice variation that!

deergravy

Great looking flies, Breac, they'll do the business for sure.
They have that look about them of a fly that will pick up fish on the drop, as well as pulled, or even fished dry.
Never seen sandgrouse used as a material before, are these feathers from the wing or the body?

Dave

Go To Front Page