News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_steven

Cheers for the compliments gents.
You may be right about there being easier flies to tie. For a fly with just 2 materials they certainly aren't that easy to get right straight away. However they are a family of flies that have caught an awful lot of fish for me. I probably have an orange hog that has caught over 30 fish, yet it still doesn't look all that battered.
Saying that I havent fished the DHS enough to be able to compare the two properly.
I get a lot of enjoyment from tying flies and probably Hedghogs more so than any other.
Maybe the fish like the effort I've put into tying in the extra few bunches of deer hair.  :lol:

Steve

Black-Don

Quote from: admin on March 18, 2009, 08:46:28 PM
Hoping I might use this tomorrow. Size 14 LDO parachute

Who says parachutes are hard to tie ? this one took 3 minutes!

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9025.0;attach=13660;image

Nice flee Fred. Do you always use straight shanked hooks for your parachute flies ?

I got some cracking stuff from Gerry at Artifly today. Hope to post some more of the heavy cloaked dabbler pics soon.

His Autumn Brown Bronze Mallard and Claret saddle patches are spot on.

just_steven

Quote from: Ardbeg on March 20, 2009, 02:41:02 AM
Deer hair is pretty much my favourite tying material, hate muddler heids though :roll:

Ardbeg

I hear ye Ardbeg!
I think with the muddlers for me, it's all the stuff you clip off and throw away. What a waste! I feel I should be getting another flee out of all the trimmings! I'm sure you know the drinking straw trick to get your heids right/better?

Steve

scotfly

Last week I showed you...

Ghost

This week I had a bit of play to see where it could go....
Your thoughts?.......

Halo Ghost

Same materials with the addition of a clear Antron wing.

Black Ghost

Same materials on a TMC102Y #17

Then on to the dry versions (especially for wee bri)...

Dry Ghost

Dirty Ghost

Same materials, hackle clipped ala Dirty Duster

Para Ghost

Ghost Paraloop

With the addition of a clear Antron thorax.

Ghosth?mer

Same body and hackle, thorax is white ostrich herl, wing is clear Antron.

Tim

Not sure I want to post after that lot. Are those flies or modern art?

I spend the winter chasing things that provide good fly tying material (although nothing much use for scotfly) amongst which on of my favourites is the woodcock. Great spider material obviously, but the woodcock also has a preen gland and the feathers around it are very distinctive.

I tied a few F-fly type things last year but did not really give them a proper trial until September in Caithness. Found they didn't float particulary well, but the odd fish liked them. I did, however, have a extraordinary experience with a sedge (platonic honest) when I put the woodcock feather next to the sedge wing you simpy could not tell the difference. Over the winter there was a bit in T&S about a Frenchman fishing the Irish Loughs with flies that included one based around the 'cul de becasse' woodcock feather. So I've been playing with some different options.

The first couple use the feathers like the Frenchman extending back beyond hares ear bodies:

I used two pairs of feathers for a shorter wing on this with an olive seal/ hare mask body:

and from above:

This has the cul de becasse feathers either side of a hedgehog style roe deer hair wing to solve the bouyancy problems I had with the hackle-less version last year. Copper rib to hold it all together.

Looking forward to giving these a proper run this season on the chalkstreams and the lochs. I've got an inkling about which I fancy.

Tim

Crawhin

Absolutely stunning flees Scotfly and beautiful photography too.

Like yours too Tim - number 3 looks to me like a great fly for last light when the sedges are about.

Cheers,

Ian

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on March 21, 2009, 12:38:14 AM
Nice flee Fred. Do you always use straight shanked hooks for your parachute flies ?

Sorry Donald I only just saw this. Yes, when tying parachute duns like that one I use straight shank hooks. Klinks and other emergers I use curved hooks

Black-Don

Quote from: admin on March 23, 2009, 05:46:53 PM
Sorry Donald I only just saw this. Yes, when tying parachute duns like that one I use straight shank hooks. Klinks and other emergers I use curved hooks

I'm not too up on parachute flees and kind of took it for a Klink hence the question. Thanks for putting me right.

I really need to get down the Clyde this season and have a go with some of them.

Nice fly col. Why the white hackle is it a secret ingredient ?

Buzzers are stunning Brian.

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on March 23, 2009, 11:53:05 PM
I'm not too up on parachute flees and kind of took it for a Klink hence the question. Thanks for putting me right.

You are really, they are not hard once you get the knack of it. I think the method is shown in one of Dennis's step by steps. First thing you do is tie in the wing.

shanksi

Don,
If I can tie a reasonable klink anyone can. :D  My main problem is deciding which way I prefer to tie off the hackle, on to the post or to the front of post?  I change my mind every time I tie some. :D

shanksi

Go To Front Page