News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The General

Tiz a lovely looking fly Breac.  The colours are amazing and the fly just looks "right"

Davie

Black-Don

This thread just gets better and better.  :D

.D.

Big irons today.

Yellow-tailed wooly bugger/ tadpole affair with one of those Moser snaphead things. I found yellow-tailed ones more useful than the usual black or brown-olive last year.

But is it a lure? :lol:

.D.

scotfly

Very nice xDx  :D
What are the snapheads like for casting? They look kinda heavy.
How have you formed the body, is it fur and flash in a dubbing loop?

.D.

Quote from: scotfly on March 28, 2009, 05:29:46 PM
Very nice xDx  :D
What are the snapheads like for casting? They look kinda heavy.
How have you formed the body, is it fur and flash in a dubbing loop?

Thanks  :wink: :).

They're not that heavy - there's a lot more space inside than there is in a similarly sized conehead. That's the small size (the only size I use) -they can't be more  than 0.5mm thick (don't quote me on that though, I haven't measured them with callipers :makefun). They're a lot more fun to cast than things with dumbell eyes, put it that way. Then there's  also the "surf" version - they're made of aluminium and weigh relatively little at all, so may be more useful for stillwaters and the like. I've not tried the tungsten ones - they'd be more of a handful I should think.

The main issue I've had is with them snapping loose and rotating. This season I've tried fixing them in place with superglue (as before), but then drowning the lateral slots with SH Double Duty a few hours later.

The body's nothing fancy - just olive rabbit fur cut off a zonker strip (or soft hare's cheek fur) and a generous amount of pearl Litebrite or Icedub dubbed conventionally in a thick tight rope. Then absolutely thrashed with a bit of velcro, in the way you might scrub a badly soiled saucepan. A thread that won't fray e.g. Powersilk helps there.

Cheers,

.D.

scotfly

Thanks for that.

Quote from: .D. on March 28, 2009, 06:16:29 PM

The body's nothing fancy - just olive rabbit fur cut off a zonker strip (or soft hare's cheek fur) and a generous amount of pearl Litebrite or Icedub dubbed conventionally in a thick tight rope. Then absolutely thrashed with a bit of velcro, in the way you might scrub a badly soiled saucepan. A thread that won't fray e.g. Powersilk helps there.

Might be nothing fancy, but the result looks very effective.

scotfly

Couldn't help myself, I just had to have another play on the ghost theme  :oops:

Then it was a little "hat" fly for a friend... Or should I give it a run through the chalkstreams  :devil;

scotfly

About 10 or 15 mins. My desk and me looked like an add for the Sony bravia tv's after all the trimming was done!
That was my first attempt at tying such a large (3/0) stacked deer hair "fly"

haresear

QuoteWhen the hit comes, the only question will be is it a big pike, big troot or big perch

Or a big sunken wall :)

Some seriously well tied flies on this thread guys. I've not posted anything :roll:

Firstly I've not been tying and secondly I'm not posting my rubbish alongside the likes of the rest of you real fly tiers :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteI can see it doing severe damage on the likes of my lavvie pan!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant, John. It took a minute for the penny to drop...

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page