News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian_M

Interesting looking fly.  Not the normal "style" of fly you would fish across and down.  Obviously successful though, look forward to hearing how you get on with them.
Ian

deergravy

I've never tried those old clyde-style flies before, interesting that they still have a following and obviously work. 

They just don't seem to make any sense!
Hardly any body and a long, slim wing. Huh?!

Could it be that the wing actually represents the body of the insect??

Dave

haresear

Quote from: deergravy on April 02, 2009, 09:28:26 PM
I've never tried those old clyde-style flies before, interesting that they still have a following and obviously work. 

They just don't seem to make any sense!
Hardly any body and a long, slim wing. Huh?!

Could it be that the wing actually represents the body of the insect??

Dave

I'd say that example is more akin to a Tummel tying than a Clyde one, because of the short body. On that example however, the body is more chunky than a Tummel style would be.

The Clyde flies have a standard length, but thin body and many, but not all, have that same upright wing.

Me? I don't bother with wings anymore  :crap

Alex
Protect the edge.

Clan Ford

Quote from: haresear on April 02, 2009, 09:55:08 PM

Me? I don't bother with wings anymore  :crap

No surprise there then Alex, we all know your one of the "can't be arsed brigade" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Norm (fully paid up member CBAB)

Wildfisher

Nice fish Mark well done!  Nothing beats a good fish  on the river. What did you get it on?

haresear

QuoteNo surprise there then Alex, we all know your one of the "can't be arsed brigade"   

Norm (fully paid up member CBAB)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice Clyde fish Mark. Looks longer than in the photos you sent me. Photoshop? :)

It looks a wee tad thin about the vent, but hell, I'd be very happy with that fish. How heavy do you reckon?

Also, where exactly did you catch it, what time, what fly and what strength tippet? :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Malcolm

One of the problems with a blown up fly unless you are very careful is that it doesn't look right! The body probably has about 4 layers of thread - which I know is about two too many. It does only have two turns of hackle and seen in it's natural size looks much lighter than in the picture. It's only a 16...

I'm going to give it a swim somewhere not too far from Lamington on Saturday afternoon if the weather's kind.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

Quoteyes i was wearing my lucky underpants.

Which are? :)

Malcolm, I'm sure your fly will pass inspection by the circumspect Lamington trout. If they take mine, they will certainly take yours.

Alex
Protect the edge.

paulr

Nice one Buzz thats a cracker.I was up the Clyde on wednesday afternoon.Didn't get there til 2pm though.There was the odd olive coming off but only saw two single rises all afternoon.And caught bugger all.The river is pretty low.
cheers
Paul

muddler54

keep them for a flat calm, whenever that happens....

Go To Front Page