News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Don

Quote from: brian on April 04, 2009, 11:44:12 AM
Thanks Ardbeg :), I'll probably have another go at it though and try and get it closer to the original tying.

I tied up this fly this morning, bought some straggle chenille type stuff after being impressed by Garry's dabbler pattern.

Nice flee Brian,

I'm right into this style of fly at the moment and it's good to see different variations. I think it's great the way the Irish style of dabbler has a heavier dressing than what would be considered the norm but I like the more traditional Scottish style too.

Been up to my eyes in work recently but hope to get some more tyings done this week.

Wildfisher

Quote from: guest on April 04, 2009, 11:48:18 PM
Been up to my eyes in work recently

glad to hear that Donald, not bad considering the state of the economy right now.

haresear

QuoteInspired by Roy Christies USD i decided to turn my bread and butter arse over tit.
Whadya think?

Looks good Mark. I'm sure it will land right way up, because of the CDC. Can I suggest that you tie the tails further round the bend just to make sure? I also find that a curved shank helps USD flies land correctly.

I may have said this before, but my easy USD is just to tie a normal fly and twist the dessing round the hookshank after tying it :) How lazy is that?

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

QuoteI tied it first on a full curved hook and was not convinced they way it sat in the proverbial pint glass.

Try the Partridge Klinkhamer hooks. Mark. They land and sit nicely. They are fine for quite big dries down to a medium olive type size, but when it gets to BWOs, well you would need a size 26 Partridge and I think they only do them down to an 18.

Alex
Protect the edge.

muddler54

cracking flies guys,  think ill stick to easy ones........
    couple of joeys out of ff%ft.... cheers mick

Clan Chief

Hello guys. Really enjoying all these flies. You have set some real high standards there with some quality tyings.I 've not posted on this thread for a wee while now but I still have been tying regularly. I've just been too lazy to photograph and post them. Thought it was time I started posting again. Here are a couple I tied this evening........

Ian_M

Nice looking flies there Clan Chief, very tidy.
Ian

Black-Don

Lovely flees Clan Chief.

The first one seems similar to the Black Dabbler I posted recently.

What do you call them? Is the second a Doobry type flee ?

Clan Chief

No names for them. They are just the style of flees I enjoy tying. I just like to to try different colour combinations. The first fly is I suppose a dabbler style. When ever I have tied this style in the past I normally tied bronze mallard on top then underneath. On this occasion for the first  I tied in a bunch of mallard at the front pointing away from the fly. Then when Ive tied the body ,hackle rib etc I pull the mallard back top, bottom and both sides. That one turned out ok. The trick is to get equal amounts of fibres all the way around the fly.

Black-Don

I'm most impressed at the proportions if you used the cloak forward first method Chief. Nice to see you enjoy tying this type of fly. They're favourites of mine too since I kindof got the method right.  :8)

Go To Front Page