News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

What have you tied today?

Started by Clan Chief, October 25, 2008, 08:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotfly

I was in a traditional mood today....

Stewart's Black Spider

HOOK - Kamasan B160 #16
THREAD - Brown Pearsal's (waxed with cobblers wax)
HACKLE - Starling

Hare Lug and Plover

HOOK - Drennan Traditional Wet Fly - #16
THREAD - Brown Pearsal's
HACKLE - Golden Plover
TAG - Fine Flat Gold
RIB - Fine Gold Wire
BODY - Hare's Ear ( Dark hare taken from the tip of the ear)

Dark Watchet (Pritt)

HOOK - Drennan Traditional Wet Fly #14
THREAD - Orange Pearsal's
HACKLE - Jackdaw (neck)
BODY - Orange and Purple Silk, twisted together and touch dubbed with mole.

Wildfisher

Great stuff Dennis. I notice  the Stewart's Black Spider has been hackled the correct way.

muddler54

these are a couple of dennis,s blushing buzzers.....
   the trout love them, ive put a suspender ball on top, in a midge hatch there brilliant
   the tyings not great because ive had to make a heap of them...
   the trout tear them to bits,  especially the suspender buzzer, thats just hammered
     go tie some up guys... size 14... you wont be disappointed... cheers mick

scotfly

Quote from: wee bri on April 23, 2009, 12:50:32 AM
I recently bought a full Partridge skin but to be honest if I wanted to tie a Partridge and and Orange for example, I wouldn't know which feather to use.
I can see all sorts of possibillities with the mottled breast and wing reathers for hackling wet flies but after that I'm lost.
I know it's a big ask but if you are up to it is there any chance you could do a run down on the actual parts of the birds concerned for tying flies like the Harelug and Plover, Snipe and Purple and other traditional river wet flies.

Cheers........wee bri......

Bri, sorry I haven't got back to you sooner on this one, had a lot on/happening the last few weeks.
Basically you can use all the feathers on a skin. The best hackles for smaller flies will generally come from the neck area and the base of the wings. After that it's just a case of selecting the hackle according to the size of the hook. The hackles that are too large for conventional hackling can be used for tailing and false hackles, or you can tear the fibres off and tie them in over the eye, then fold back to form the hackle. Similar to tying Dabblers.

garryh

tied a few of these today
Education is important.
But fishing is importanter

.D.

My preferred LDO pattern:

An F-fly with a dubbed thorax/head.

Haven't seen an Iron Blue Dun yet this year :(.

.D.

Clan Ford

I like them .D. ,

What material is the loop wing in the LDO?

Norm

.D.

Thanks,

It's the Niche Products poly yarn, but McFlylon works just as well on a 14. Or Aero Drywing: I actually prefer that in the paler grey they do for Pale wateries etc in smaller sizes.

PS - I usually just dub the whipping knot on that particular F-fly - rather than leave a visible head. I forgot to do that on the one above :?.

Cheers,

.D.

Wildfisher

Foam bodied daddy

[attachimg=1]

Wildfisher

Col,

After my experiences in New Zealand and having recently read a book by Lou Stevens about fly fishing for all types of freshwater fish  I am  more and more of the mind that terrestrials are the answer to summer?s   so called   ? dog days? . Certainly when fishing the likes of the Caithness lochs in summer and autumn daddies, hoppers etc  seemed to  do the business.

Go To Front Page