News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

55lb Brown Trout ....maybe?

Started by haresear, January 17, 2019, 02:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

I just read of a rumour of a 55lb brownie caught in a canal. Not the Forth & Clyde as you may have guessed, but an irrigation canal in NZ.
World record?? We will maybe never know as the captor allegedly  wants to keep it quiet. The internet isn't good with secrets...

Pukaki canal.  My biggest from there was about 5lb.
I shudder to think how many campervans are going to be parked up there during the kiwi holidays. It is.probably the nearest thing NZ has to loch earn.as it is.
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

haresear

Quote from: admin on January 17, 2019, 08:07:42 AM
Did he put the fish back?

If he did, there would be guys travelling from the likes of Angus in Scotland in the hope of a recapture :)
They don't get to that size just because there is salmon farming on the canals.  No, a study found the canals to be very rich in natural food. Definitely nothing to do with fish farming... :roll:  :lol:

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

They reckon it's probably  down to a massive snail population due to enrichment from the fish farms. This is exactly the reason for the huge trout in Loch Damph over at Torridon.

Indirectly artificially fed wild trout.

haresear

Quote from: admin on January 17, 2019, 11:20:13 AM
They reckon it's probably  down to a massive snail population due to enrichment from the fish farms. This is exactly the reason for the huge trout in Loch Damph over at Torridon.

Indirectly artificially fed wild trout.

Really??

Actually, a couple of Aussies I met while fishing lake Poaka which is only a few metres from the canals told me that the trout they had caught from the lake were stuffed with snails. Sounds like a dish the French might enjoy, actually. :)
Protect the edge.

Lochan_load

Wildfisher

Quote from: Lochan_load on January 18, 2019, 10:26:18 AM
......but does it count?  :worms

imo  it would be the same as these big fish caught in Loch Damph over at Torridon or the big charr in lochs with cages on them..............  a very HUGE NO, NO, NO .   :crap

Go To Front Page