News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Back at the big loch

Started by Wildfisher, May 15, 2021, 11:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

caorach

Another good one Fred, and thanks for the mention. You did well with the fish and were actually landing them which was great.

Wildfisher

It was a very enjoyable day but bloody cold. I like flat calms and look upon them as a challenge.

arawa

Excellent quality video. Nice looking loch too.
If the midges are not around, I don't mind a flat calm on certain lochs where I can usually pick up fish (admittedly they tend to be smaller trout) on dries. But on others it is pointless casting a fly unless there is a ripple.

caorach

Quote from: admin on May 15, 2021, 02:33:46 PM
It was a very enjoyable day but bloody cold. I like flat calms and look upon them as a challenge.

Funny I was noting your comments as I'm the same - I like flat calms because of what I can hear going on around and when the wind drops it is amazing the amount of stuff you do hear that you simply wouldn't notice otherwise. When out at deer it is very difficult indeed in flat calm as any tiny noise travels for miles plus the actual direction your scent drifts in tends to be very changeable but I just love going in on a calm snowy day and locking the gate and having the place to myself even if the chances of even seeing a deer are very small. Don't know if this picture will work, it is a colour photo if you look closely:

Wildfisher

Quote from: arawa on May 15, 2021, 03:33:29 PM
Excellent quality video. Nice looking loch too.
Thanks it's a huge effort making even simple videos like this so it's appreciated that others enjoy them and make the effort to comment.  :D

With  forums dying on their arses (yesterday's media) I am convinced online fishing's future is not on Facebook or the like but very firmly with video. What's better? Watching a good fishing video or  some political nutjob on FF posting the same evasive ramblings?  Now, who could I possibly mean?   :?  :lol:

The loch is nice, easy banks too but of course it being a water supply it gets a bit of a rim around it after prolonged dry weather. Most of the regulars are of the opinion it fishes better when it's lower. Anyway it's not a big day out for me, only 27 miles from my front door on very quiet roads.

arawa

Quote from: admin on May 15, 2021, 03:44:51 PM
With forums dying on their arses (yesterday's media) I am convinced online fishing's future is not on Facebook or the like but very firmly with video.

You might be correct, but I hope not.
Videos are the icing for me, with the real value of a forum being the sharing of information on tackle, tactics and locations. I don't think I have ever asked a question here without receiving useful and sensible responses and advice. Where I am able, I have tried to answer other people's questions in the same fashion. Not sure the same can be achieved with videos and Facebook has a hopeless signal-to-noise ratio for me.

(Sitting here in the sun after a hard day's gardening wondering why I did not ignore the poor forecast and go fishing!)

Bobfly

Another pleasant video Fred. Good thing it is yet to be claimed by the Wild Swimmin Wimmin who have been causing difficulties in a number of locations. Cold water seems to have little effect on wet suits.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Wildfisher

There were 2 canoes out for  short period yesterday, not doing and real harm, but I thought public water supplies were exempt from the "freedom to paddle"  laws?

Bobfly

The Access Code gives some instructions as to how Scottish Water should involve themselves in event management. I get a bit annoyed by canoes, paddleboards and swimmers being given uncontrolled access but a float-tube is a no no. For canoes etc. the guidance is only to keep away from all dam structures.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page