News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Campervans

Started by Wildfisher, August 12, 2021, 09:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I just watched an interesting report on Campervans and Motorhomes. 

15 year old vehicles are currently selling for the same amount they cost when new and are mostly in the £25,000 + range. That's a lot to pay for a very old road vehicle, but demand is far outstripping supply. I wonder if the bubble will burst?

Fishtales

Quote from: admin on August 12, 2021, 09:31:24 PM
I just watched an interesting report on Campervans and Motorhomes. 

15 year old vehicles are currently selling for the same amount they cost when new and are mostly in the £25,000 + range. That's a lot to pay for a very old road vehicle, but demand is far outstripping supply. I wonder if the bubble will burst?

When the air travel holidays start back in earnest you will be able to pick one up for buttons :) There are loads of new caravans and owners on this site this year. Some of the caravans are up to £100,000 including decking. If they sell next year they will be lucky to get 80% of that back and leave it another six months and they will be lucky to get 50%. Plus they will have spent the equivalent of three foreign holidays on rent, rates and energy use :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

caorach

I'd guess the bubble will burst because all bubbles do burst.

I see today that Calmac are saying that campervans can no longer go in the standby queue for ferries. Potentially this might not mean very much as all it does is stop them from turning up and getting on if there is space. However, if Calmac were to start slightly underbooking the ferries then it would mean that locals who need to travel in a hurry (this could be hospital appointments or sick relatives or even a fault with a car where the nearest dealer is in Inverness for example.) can just turn up with a reasonable chance of getting on and not finding that 20 campervans have been parked up in the standby queue overnight.

Many who drive about in campervans seem to be of the virtue signalling persuasion and so are extremely sensitive to what others think about them and I believe the message is starting to sink in that, generally speaking, no one wants them. I can see that bursting the bubble in short order. One such person who I know has recently sold his camper, in part as they seemed to be disliked by some, and has just returned from staying in Moidart complaining about the campervans :-)

Hoolet

Was up fishing at Kinnaber on the North Esk today, had a good day & decided to come down the coast road on the way back to Edinburgh, could not believe the number of campervans parked up at Arbroath....mind boggling

Hoolet
Ye Canny Fry A Rise!

Wildfisher

Arbroath is unreal George, they get bigger crowds of campervans at Gayfield than they do when there is a match on.  :lol:

Honestly I would not even consider even hiring one of these now, they are hated by so many local peple, espcially in The Highlands where they are about as welcome as a skunk in a lift.

burnie

Just read of campers being egged and tyres slashed, hire companies are telling tourists not to go on the NC500, what a fine idea that was, now who was it again opening up something with no thought or planning??

Laxdale

Quote from: burnie on August 13, 2021, 12:13:04 AM
Just read of campers being egged and tyres slashed, hire companies are telling tourists not to go on the NC500, what a fine idea that was, now who was it again opening up something with no thought or planning??

Funny the cops never had any reports of damage or anti camper actions? No, because it is all fiction. On another rlate note, I am getting a dashcam to aid me if one of the moronic motorhome drivers or cyclists I am meeting daily manages to hit me. Bunch of bastards, so the are.

Wildfisher

Funny, I have been looking into dashcams myself. With the legalising of jaywalking and irresponsible  cycling that's about to happen watch out! 

Inchlaggan

Look very closely at your insurance before installing a dashcam.
I bought one for the very reasons you suggest and was then informed that I could benefit from a reduction in insurance premiums if I let my insurers know.
The reduction was around 15%- not to be sneezed at.
But boy, oh boy, the small print.
If you hard wire one into your car you MUST inform your insurers. It counts as an alteration- like a tow bar etc.
When installed, even if you receive no discount, you must maintain it in an operating condition and operating at all times.
You must hand over any recordings to the Police (if asked), to your insurer if making a claim or reporting an incident. And to any insurer making a claim against you.
Failure to comply with any of the above invalidates your policy. What counts as "installed" is a bit vague.
I was interested in the fact that my dashcam records GPS, speed, braking etc. The rules for images also apply to this data.
It gets worse. If you have a SatNav or GPS system fitted as standard or by yourself the same applies.
I ain't finished yet. If your car manufacturer has installed monitoring systems (many do, even if you do not know it, and may be only accessible through registered dealers) that data is treated as above.
Lastly, and I have not managed to verify this story, it is reported that a driver was convicted of a motoring offence on the basis of GPS and accelerometer data on his passenger's iPhone.
The Stasi were amateurs.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Nothing surprises me now Ken. Apparently Apple's latest terms and conditions give them the legal right to scan your iPhone and report anything they deem "suspicions" to the authorities.

Go To Front Page