News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

The perfect fishing bag ..............

Started by Wildfisher, August 16, 2021, 09:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

....... for me anyhow.

I have tried them all over the years, backpacks, shoulder bags, vests, sling packs ......... hate them all. Rucksacks are the best for getting things out of your way, but  worst when  trying to find anything.

The answer has been staring me in the face for years,  just didn't see it.

A camera bag is the answer. Easy to adapt, light, on your back out of the way - but above all it's EASY to find stuff. You can rearrange the internal dividers to suit your own gear, they are fixed with Velcro and easy to move.

I bought this one for about £20, it's small feather light, and perfect for river day trips. Want more space? Buy a bigger one. Dead easy to adapt for carrying your net.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

burnie

Nice, though for day trips I just wear a waistcoat and leave the bag at home.

Laxdale

There is no such thing as a perfect fishing bag (IMO of curse).
I cannot stand any sort of unnecessary encumbrance.  A fly fishing waistcoat is the limit, and a landing net only if I know I have no chance of getting a fish out without one. #minimalistsrule

Wildfisher

Quote from: burnie on August 16, 2021, 10:27:55 AM
Nice, though for day trips I just wear a waistcoat and leave the bag at home.

The fly vest  is OK Richard, but I have yet to find one that is not an uncomfortable incumbrance when it holds more than fly box and a spool of nylon. If you have to carry a waterproof or anything more they are hopeless. I also tried one of these Orvis sling packs and hated that even more. Designed for poseurs I think.  :lol:

Fishtales

I used to wear a waistcoat all the time but putting anything in the front pockets just made retrieving difficult, now when I want to do that I hang my DSLR around my neck :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

superscot

:D :D :D :D :D Fred been using one for years just never thought to bring it up

Wildfisher

I think that sums up everything wrong with the forum Colin, folk no longer share their ideas like they used to. It's not just you of course, I no longer bother posting much either. Times change of course and all forums are a mere shadow of what they once were, but if folk can't be bothered it does mean the forum is ultimately doomed and in terminal decline as happened with fishing magazines.  :?

caorach

I'm a fan of the British Army "windproof smock" for my gubbins. Unfortunately I'm also a fan of making tea and eating a lot and, of course, I've recently started with GoPros and drones so all of this extra stuff requires a bag.

Anyone looking a jacket should give the windproof smock some consideration - it is important to highlight that they aren't waterproof and in a way this is their major advantage as it is about the most comfortable jacket I own with me eventually getting wet in everything else after a little bit of walking. Pockets are great, price is good (maybe £30ish these days), and of course you can always use your brain and carry a waterproof layer on days when it is going to be wet. The windproof smocks are "showerproof" and on many days will be enough but you can easily carry a lightweight waterproof layer to wear underneath the smock should it become really wet. Wearing the waterproof bit under the smock means you keep all your pockets etc. plus the smock protects the waterproof bit in undergrowth.

If you wade then they will be less than ideal and should you wish it is possible to get them in a range of colours including olive green and blue plus you can also get them in a waterproof version. On top of this Arktis and Fortis make what they claim are better quality ones though they are much more pricey.

Laxdale

Go To Front Page