News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Meghan

Started by Wildfisher, January 17, 2023, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Years ago I started using a cicada pattern from NZ here in Scotland and modifying it to overcome shortcomings I discovered whilst fishing it.

That's the whole point of fly tying, there is no point in tying flies you can buy. You certainly won't save any money doing that anyway.

Anyhow,I  christened the fly  "Naomi" ( for reasons I won't go into :)  ) and she had one body segment and four legs. As the years went on I made further modifications and the final result is shown in the photo.  This fly has caught me fish in Scotland, Spain and NZ. It works surprisingly well in very low water in high summer as well as pulling up  fish on apparently dead lochs.

Now obviously both flies could not have the same name, so I had to rename Naomi's bigger sister.

Meet Meghan. Absolutely deadly. There is  a certain technique to tying her that came from a lot of trial and error. She comes in black and dark olive. 🙂

[attachimg=1]

arawa

I used to fish almost exclusively hoppers. Then for years my first choice fly has been an elk hair caddis fished as a single. It has served me very well.
But in the past 2-3 years I have noticed that the fish seem really to like flies with long legs.
Just caused me to wonder if the legs on your fly was what made it so successful.

Wildfisher

Yes the more and longer legs the better. Naomi with her 4 legs worked well, but Meghan with 8 snares then even more effectively. I tie them BIG as well, size 10, 8 and even 6 now and then.

IanR

What do you use for the legs on those Fred?

Wildfisher

Hill loch gold

looks the business fred 👍

Go To Front Page