News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Save your camera

Started by east wind, April 07, 2012, 05:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east wind

I fell in again. This time as I was playing a nice grayling I stumbled backwards over a boulder and went in, right in with the rod sticking out the water like Excalibur.

I've drowned three cameras in as many years and sometimes its not when you expect it like going horizontal in the smallest burns for a second has done the damage. So i bought a wee watertight pouch for it and one for the phone and yesterday it was road tested and passed. Aquapac its called, less than £20

Not so much as a tip but more a reminder to anyone using a decent camera/phone to save yourself some grief. Those resealable plastic pouches won't do either.

Mac
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

Wildfisher

Mac,

it's a comfort to know I'm not the only dopey bugger who falls in all the time.    :lol:

regards

AquaMan.  :lol:

Inchlaggan

Aye, reminders are always useful. I've drowned a few in my time.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Traditionalist

I like this one;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OverBoard-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-Case/dp/B003NDPAX8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1333812639&sr=8-6

hasn't let me down yet, and has had a few dunkings.  You can use the camera without taking it out of the bag, and even if you drop it it will float. This is bitter on a fast river though if you don't have it on a lanyard. One may be philosophical about losing a big fish by reflecting that you can not "lose" what you never had, but this most certainly does not apply to a 600 quid camera floating down a fast river!

TL
MC

Guddler

I am really overdue a dunking! It's been several years since I had one and I've had a few close shaves. Expect to read about it in a pic-free report sometime this season as the law of averages catches up with me!  :lol:

kemp355

I know the feeling that cold rush of water then the panic camera car keys phone .My camera has survived a couple of dunks

Wildfisher

I had so many close shaves I bought a Pentax waterproof camera. Well worth it.

Malcolm

I wish there was a good solution for carrying my camera. I only own SLRs which means carrying them in my rucksack which is a pain if I want to take a picture quickly. My wife has a small compact which I have borrowed occasionally and keep in a waterproof camping gear bag. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

Quote from: Malcolm on April 08, 2012, 10:04:52 AM
I wish there was a good solution for carrying my camera. I only own SLRs which means carrying them in my rucksack which is a pain if I want to take a picture quickly. My wife has a small compact which I have borrowed occasionally and keep in a waterproof camping gear bag.

I don't think there is a good solution Malcolm.  The "float bag" I posted wont take very large cameras, and having the camera swinging about while  you are walking, fishing, etc. is asking for trouble. A waterproof bag is no use at all if you fall over and crush the camera!

TL
MC

alancrob

For waterproofing SLR's there are a few options. I used to use one like this from Jessops, mine was not as sophisticated being 25 years ago but it did work. Mostly I was using mine on the hills in the rain rather than actually underwater.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77490/show.html

http://gadgetsin.com/transparent-waterproof-digital-slr-camera-case.htm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547694-REG/DiCAPac_WPS10_WP_S10_Waterproof_Case.html

The big Question for East Wind is....did you land the fish?

A.

Go To Front Page