News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Lake District - wild fishing - any recommendations for a novice??

Started by Ladyflyfisher, May 23, 2012, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladyflyfisher

:?
Hi, just wondering if anyone has fished in the Lake District and has any advice or recommendations for a novice wild flyfisher?  Hope to go up next week and will probably try the east/central/south areas, unless you say otherwise.

Thanks
Jane

ccs77

Hi Jane,

Hi Jane,

The best part of the Lakes is the fact that almost every stretch of water offers good fishing ( sometimes it's free too!).

Where will you be staying?

If you are going to be walking I would recommend carrying a small travel/telescopic rod in your backpack.....there are some real gems to be found.

Cheers

Chris

snb

I've fished the Angle Tarn near Patterdale, it's a lovely spot and I got a nice trout out of it but I hard to work hard for it. I think it gets a lot of casual anglers fishing it with maggots/worms/bubble floats killing every trout they catch.

Apparently Crummock Water is worth a visit, as is Hayeswater.

Have a look on this site: http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net/where-to-fish/where-to-fish.html

happyhooker

Jane
Fished many lakes in the lake district, one that springs to mind and is easy access, good bank fishing is Brotherswater, good campsite adjacent aswell!
Regards
Brian

whinging pom

http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net/day-permits/day-permits.html
is a link to the WDAA who have the rights to many of the waters, and do a roving day ticket. I find it easier on the smaller tarns if still waters what you are use to.
For rivers many of them in central lake district are links between larger waters with better habitat, so are not great for resident trout of any size except for breeding and Parr. The river that runs out of Ullswater at pooley bridge ( cant remember if its the Egremont or the Lowther) is a stoker with so many rising fish to target...... but they do not suffer fools!
And if you are OK with rivers don't forget the Eden passport scheme.... so much fantastic water.Not exactly central lakes but worth a visit

Ladyflyfisher

Thanks for all the really helpful replies, took at look at the wadaa website too - spoilt for choice really.

Haven't made a decision as to where I'll be staying/basing myself yet, depends if my fishing buddy is coming along or flying solo.

Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
Jane

Brook

Hi Jane,
Try Ullswater,You should have a good chance of a few fish at this time of year.
There's quite a few bank fishing spots,and if You fish the evening You'll have it to Yourself.
Another nice water is Hayeswater,it's a good walk in but it's on a good track,and has a good wilderness fell to it.
There's good river fishing aswell.
If You need more info just send Me a PM.
Regards Kev.

Traditionalist

It's over forty years since I fished in the lake District, so I doubt any of my recommendations would be of much use, but I have something else you might find of interest, from somebody who was there before I was! :)

archive.org/details/anglerinlakedist00davyrich

You can download this, just click on one of the links for whatever device you use, or the PDF;

example pages;

http://archive.org/stream/anglerinlakedist00davyrich#page/46/mode/2up

TL
MC

Traditionalist

PS.  The fly recommendations worked for me and will also doubtless work for you. There are tips and flies scattered through the book. I wouldn't bother "fining" any gut though! :)

TL
MC

Go To Front Page