News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

A new fishing rod

Started by caorach, April 21, 2021, 08:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caorach

I've bought a new fishing rod - a Shakespeare Agility 2 in an 11 foot 7 weight.

In recent times I've found that there are some very good low price rods out there and although I do have some of the big name/big price rods I mostly end up fishing my Leeda rods these days. Unfortunately I broke one of the Leeda rods maybe 4 years ago and had always intended to replace it so I've ended up with the Shakespeare as they seem to get a good name.

No chance to fish with it yet but reports will follow in due course.

Wildfisher

I bought a 6 foot #3 weight Agility a few years ago to use on the overgrown areas of The Lunan. Good value and well made, only issue I have with it is it's a touch "soft" but it might work better with a #2 weight line.

Bobfly

Shakey rods are famous for solid value for money. I have two Agilities an 8ft6in 4# and a 9ft 6# both with a nice medium user friendly action.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Laxdale

Two or three years ago I was looking after several novices for a week on a local estate. They had stopped off at Bruar (?) on the way up the road to get kitted out. They had Greys reels (as ell with the line in your pocket) and both Shakey Sigma and Agility rods. (10ft 7 wts). I am not sure of the line sadly, because although it went ok on the Agility, it as a dream to cast on the Sigma. I was surprised the Sigma was the cheaper rod.
By the end of the week, although none of them could manage a 10 yard cast, two of hem had caught grilse!
I have a couple of Oracle travel salmon rods and they are pleasant to use, and also use Shakey beachcasters. ie, Shakey make good gear, IMO!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Laxdale on April 22, 2021, 03:24:19 PM
Shakey make good gear, IMO!

Yup, always have done. They manufactured many branded fly lines including Snowbee until they sold the business to Northern Sports.

caorach

Well I took a look at the rod and it looks fine but as everyone will be aware that means nothing until you get a line on it and do some fishing with it. Depending on how things go there is a small possibility that I might get a wee cast tomorrow so reports might follow.

Go To Front Page