News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon Tippet

Started by Wildfisher, July 10, 2017, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What's your honest opinion on this stuff?   Is it good, worth having a few spools in your bag or is it an industry con to separate fools from their money?

This is a serious question, my own experience of this stuff is limited to one or two tries on a loch many, many years ago.

Laxdale

I have used Rio fluoro in the past for sea trout and think it helped increase catches.
I would rather not fish than use it for salmon fishing. There are lots of threads on salmon fora regarding this subject. There tends to be an even split between those who think it is wonderful and those who will never use it again due to the stuff breaking (all brands) for no apparent reason. Some ghillies will not let the anglers use it on their bets unless very high breaking strains are used.....the same ones tend to ban "double strength" leader material.
Seaguar is a favourite, but some experienced guys that use it use 19lb bs for grilse, and 24 lb bs if there is  chance of a salmon. I appreciate that for trout much finer diameter lines are used, but the above should be a warning that fine diameter fluoro is not the way to go.
And a wind knot or kink in the line = new leader.

Highlander

I am in the "never use it camp" now When it first appeared on the scene some years back I like many others tried it but soon found it failing. Having said that I used it for three fly casts with droppers on lochs & it was unreliable. Having said that it may well be OK on a single wet/dry but I will never give it a go now.

Likewise Double Strength something that should never have been offered for sale to anglers.

Bit like Airflo & me. I was shafted way back with their lines in the early days & despite some glowing reports now on some of their products & would never part with my hard earned cash.
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

sagecirca

I use it for pulling Fred.  Pulling wets, stripping lures and also straightening buzzers (there is occasions I'd use copolymer if I wanted to keep flies higher up in the water column).  It is generally stiff enough that aids turnover and has good shock absorption if smash takes are expected.  My boat box contains Airflo G3 sightfree in numerous diameters. 

I have a small spool of 7x riverge that I carry when river fishing for those tail flats that just refuse to let my normal tippet pull under the last foot or so which is a pet hate of mine.  I hate seeing skating tippet! Rare that I use it to be honest.

Highlander

QuotePulling wets, stripping lures and also straightening buzzers

What is pulling wets & straightening buzzers. Pulling wets I have seen used in print but how do you "straighten a buzzer" This more terminology from the competition scene ?
:roll:
Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

alba

Only ever use it in one set of circumstances, 6lb breaking strain on a loch in high very wind with a team of flies. It doesn't knot up or tangle the same as mono etc as its like fence wire but still pretty sightfree in the water. Apart from that I never use it, having never played a big fish with it I cant really comment on the breaking strain qualities.

sagecirca

Quote from: Highlander on July 10, 2017, 11:20:54 AM
What is pulling wets & straightening buzzers. Pulling wets I have seen used in print but how do you "straighten a buzzer" This more terminology from the competition scene ?
:roll:
Tight Lines

If you're willing to learn Alan I'm quite happy to share my experiences.   But given your little emoji at the end of your post and the fact that from your previous posts, you do come across as being stuck in the past somewhat-I'm not wanting to waste my time to be honest.

PS.  Not all competition anglers are the spawn of the devil. Some are, some aren't.

Laxdale

Quote from: alba on July 10, 2017, 11:44:53 AM
Only ever use it in one set of circumstances, 6lb breaking strain on a loch in high very wind with a team of flies. It doesn't knot up or tangle the same as mono etc as its like fence wire but still pretty sightfree in the water. Apart from that I never use it, having never played a big fish with it I cant really comment on the breaking strain qualities.

One nerdy type on SFF did experiments on true knot strength and breaking strain of various brands of mono and fluoro.
Summary........he could not have done a better advert for Maxima if he tried!

corsican dave

i gave riverge grand max a go for 7lb tippet material for barbel with small dries a few years ago; primarily because it seemed to be a significantly lower diameter than nylon. it's certainly not cheap!

have to say i've never had a problem with it. and i only use either a loop knot (for "dangly", streamer type flies) or a standard (?) tucked half blood knot. i do make sure i moisten the knot before tightening, tighten gently and ensure i snug it up fully.

i now use 12 and 18lb for carp

i think once you get down to 5lb or less the difference in diameter is much less and therefore irrelevant
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Highlander

If you're willing to learn Alan I'm quite happy to share my experiences.

No thanks I am quite happy with my lot. I asked a simple question "what is straightening buzzers" as I have not heard that terminology before sorry I asked now. I get the impression by your posts that there is nothing I can gain there anyway so best leave it at that. I may be to some an old dinosaur but I am quite happy living in that body. I have fished "in the past" for what 60odd years & have caught just about every fish that swims in UK waters by every legal & sometimes illegal method. Do not have to prove or justify myself to anyone. I do what I do now simply because I enjoy it

Tight Lines

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page