News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Charity Shop Rods

Started by ianmck, August 23, 2019, 04:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ianmck

I was walking through Glasgow today, I noticed rods in a charity shop window. They had obviously had a donation of someones entire fishing collection. Quite a few hardy rods and some other rods I couldn't tell what they were. Also a very large landing net. I went in thinking it was worth a look to see what it was. First price tag I looked at, a hardy demon 14ft, £325. A salmon rod I assume? I was shocked at the price they were asking and promptly walked out. Then I started wondering what they were basing the prices on? Ebay maybe? Is  £325 a "bargain" for this rod. As someone who donates quite a bit to charity shops, I am actually quite offended that they would charge anywhere near actual value for something. I realise they have a certain duty to make money, but part of the reason I, and presumably others donate is the thought that someone who ordinarily can't afford to buy quality stuff has the chance to get something cheap. It got me thinking.....

Inchlaggan

The charity will have been hit by a "due diligence" order from their accountants. If that is what such rods trade for on t'interweb that is what they must charge.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Lochan_load

I know the guy who runs oxfam music on byres road and they base all there prices on the collectible value either detemired by prices on eBay or by a catalogue of records I can't remember the name of. They get donated some really good stuff and a 100% mark up they must be doing alright.

Bobfly

Same applies at Oxfam book shops for everything other than the usual paperbacks.  Everything else is priced on the bookshop trade pricing catalogues.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

superscot

So really the day of the bargain has now gone ! Still the odd rod pops up at car boot sales

Highlander

Do you know off all the years of following my good lady around charity shops I have never seen fishing tackle in any one of them. I think that all/most donations do not get as far as the shop. Maybe I have just been unlucky I don't know.
Still bargains there to be had though. Now E Bay that's hard to get a bargain in the early days was a lot  easier.
Some of the best buys over the years I have had

A pair of brand new CROCS £4.99
A Columbia PFG shirt £5 as new
A Harkila jacket £9.99 still had the tags on it.

It is just your luck being there at the right time I shudder to think the things that I have missed. Are individual charity shops savvy to check prices I think not in most cases.

Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Go To Front Page