News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon Tippet

Started by Wildfisher, July 10, 2017, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagecirca

The good tying about G3 is that's buy one get one free  :8)

Robbie

I used to use the G£ stuff a lot and never had a problem with it.

Suspect Andy may be right and many problem with Fluorocarbon may be caused by selecting tippet based on breaking strain rather than diameter.

johnny boy

I remember having a discussion with fellow angler about 4 years ago about fluro, he used it and proceeded to demonstrated its strength but pulling on the files at the end of his cast to show the pressure the line could accommodate.  He also pointed out how shock resistant it was by sharply tugging the files as well.

Nothing came apart and he went on his merry way, smug and happy to have corrected me on my misunderstanding.

Roll forward to the next season, when I met him again on the moor, sorry I said, I am still not converted.

Fxxk that stuff he said, too many breakages.

My own experiences are poor to say the least with flouro with the line coming apart with next to no pressure, each to their own but count me out.

Laxdale

I forgot to say I have been using Yozzuri Hybrid (fluoro/nylon) this season and last and have found it to be  very good.
Apart from the tendency of the line, in warmer weather, to curl up when tying on flies unless you are VERY careful. (#painintheass).

arawa

I realise from previous discussions I am in a minority here but I have been a regular Riverge or similar user in 5lb and 3.5lb strength for years. My normal waters are crystal clear and I THINK  flouro improves my catch rate. My only evidence is that I usually outfish my regular partner with tackle identical except he uses Maxima. Last year I landed a 3lb 11oz brown on the smaller tippet and so far this year a 2lb plus fish. I cannot remember the last time I was broken.
In the smaller diameters a wind knot means a new tippet but I have had no problems with fly knots although now I take great care to moisten the line before carefully pulling the knot tight – and I use tucked blood knots.
I might be wasting my money but a few years ago I was getting a fish every other cast on one loch. Then because of catching the bank behind me I had to change from my usual tippet to a different make and I caught nothing until another problem meant I went back to my first tippet type and it was a fish every other cast again.
The only flaw in my logic is that I used to fish these same lochs with a #7/8 rod and probably 8-10lb nylon and caught just as many fish as I do now with my #3 rod and fine flouro! Mind, then I used to fish until pitch dark in any weather and stumble home across the hill hoping to avoid the peat bogs......
Like so much else in fishing I think it boils down to what makes you happy.

Wildfisher

Great feedback there guys, keep it coming.

The reason I asked was that I only ever used it once or twice in the dim past and had a few unexplained knot breaks - that might have been my knots of course.  I noticed today that Neil at Angus Angling  has a 2 for 1 offer on G3 plus our guide mate in NZ, John, was using it last time we fished with him. He reckoned it made a difference.

Thought it might be worth another try.

SoldierPmr

Quote from: admin on July 10, 2017, 04:16:46 PM
Great feedback there guys, keep it coming.

The reason I asked was that I only ever used it once or twice in the dim past and had a few unexplained knot breaks - that might have been my knots of course.  I noticed today that Neil at Angus Angling  has a 2 for 1 offer on G3 plus our guide mate in NZ, John, was using it last time we fished with him. He reckoned it made a difference.

Thought it might be worth another try.

I was an avid user of fluoro until this year where maxima has been a constant on my cast due to the price. I think you can see my recent catch rate I'm struggling. Though it might have nothing to do with the line.

keithfish

I find the sightfree fine no problem with break offs and it's so fine I stepped up to 8lb instead of 5lb maxima.
Some of my fishing colleagues had problems with break offs, but using 2 weighted eyed lures on the cast was probably the problem.😳

corsican dave

Quote from: SoldierPmr on July 10, 2017, 05:50:17 PM
Though it might have nothing to do with the line.
always difficult to tell, isn't it? i think it's very brand-specific, too. there's fluorocarbon & fluorocarbon. some soft, some stiff; some brittle, some not.

i would feel very uncomfortable NOT using riverge grand max for the barbel & carp, but that's very specific. i keep trying to persuade myself to try the soft version, as it appears to be be even stronger. but as others have said it's a confidence thing...

something i really didn't get on with was hardy co-polymer. terrible stuff. slippy, brittle & coiled up without the slightest provocation

i'll be checking out the Yo-Zuri hybrid. sounds interesting. is it quite soft, Gordon?
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

SoldierPmr

Quote from: corsican dave on July 10, 2017, 06:44:14 PM
always difficult to tell, isn't it? i think it's very brand-specific, too. there's fluorocarbon & fluorocarbon. some soft, some stiff; some brittle, some not.

i would feel very uncomfortable NOT using riverge grand max for the barbel & carp, but that's very specific. i keep trying to persuade myself to try the soft version, as it appears to be be even stronger. but as others have said it's a confidence thing...

something i really didn't get on with was hardy co-polymer. terrible stuff. slippy, brittle & coiled up without the slightest provocation

i'll be checking out the Yo-Zuri hybrid. sounds interesting. is it quite soft, Gordon?

I use to really like diawa wilderness fluoro but they stopped producing it I switched to fullingmils slightly stiffer and larger in diameter never had any issues which were not my own fault.

Go To Front Page