News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Flurocarbon Tippet

Started by Wildfisher, July 10, 2017, 09:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobfly

The "flouro problem" may well be that claimed extra strength has influenced anglers into using thinner flouro and the knots fail simply because any thin mono knot is going to fail more readily. If you were catching OK on 0.2 stay with 0.2 or whatever. The risk has come in from too small a diameter. Put a single overhand knot in a thin fluro and it will snap very easily despite its claimed straight  pull rating. I have been trying a lot of hand tests recently !!  I now use only Rio Powerflex because I have trust in it and I go from 2x through to 6x. In Ireland the locals on the likes of Lough Mask use 8lb Maxima simply because if its real toughness and pour scorn on other stuff.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Inverguseran

I stopped using fluoro after too many unexplained breakages. I am now back to my old reliable Maxima Ultragreen and Rio Powerflex.

Lochan_load

Maxima is my go to for loch fishing and never had any issues with it. I've been using power flex but have had a few knot breakages with it which is starting to put doubt in my mind. The knot joining my tapered leader to the powerflex snapped twice last week on decent (3-4lb) rainbows which makes me worry  about it happening with a real fish which would be really heartbreaking!!

Wildfisher

I would not use Powerflex or Stroft  for pulling flies, not enough elasticity for my liking although  I was  using 4X  (6.4lb) Powerlfex today on the South Esk pulling these small lures I tied up, but that was a single fly set up with no dropper knots. Fewer potential weak points to break.

loch coulter

Quote from: Highlander on July 10, 2017, 12:54:47 PM
No thanks I am quite happy with my lot. I asked a simple question "what is straightening buzzers" as I have not heard that terminology before sorry I asked now. I get the impression by your posts that there is nothing I can gain there anyway so best leave it at that. I may be to some an old dinosaur but I am quite happy living in that body. I have fished "in the past" for what 60odd years & have caught just about every fish that swims in UK waters by every legal & sometimes illegal method. Do not have to prove or justify myself to anyone. I do what I do now simply because I enjoy it

Tight Lines
Love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

loch coulter

For me its 3 or 4lb maxima, used to use flouro but thinking back it was just a big con, and still is,to sink my flies,line, i use my own made up sinkant mixture of fullers earth, fairy liquid and glycerine.

Lochan_load

Quote from: admin on July 10, 2017, 11:02:07 PM
I would not use Powerflex or Stroft  for pulling flies, not enough elasticity for my liking although  I was  using 4X  (6.4lb) Powerlfex today on the South Esk pulling these small lures I tied up, but that was a single fly set up with no dropper knots. Fewer potential weak points to break.

I was fishing dries/emergers static Fred but ended up switching to mono and got  some good fish. Used it with no problems on rivers with a single fly but wouldn't use it now with a dropper  like you say. Was probably down to my knots and possibly bad luck but I lost faith so changed.

nacnud

Fluro  has been my "go to" leader material for a few seasons now, mainly for trout fishing but also salmon in low water conditions.
I tend to now use Fullingmill in 5lb for trout fishing and 10lb or 15lb for seatrout and salmon.
Came home to me a couple of weeks ago how important knots are when using any fluro, my boat partner had 4 breaks in a row, one after another, after the third I asked what leader he was using - 5lb fluro same as I was. We gave it a pull and appeared fine. To cut a long story short he was using a blood knot for his droppers and tucked blood for the flies.
A change to a three turn water knot for the dropper and Davy knot for the fly, both wetted and pulled tight slowly, problem solved.
Having said all that 15lb maxima is my go to for general salmon fishing.

Wildfisher

Quote from: nacnud on July 11, 2017, 09:25:17 AM
To cut a long story short he was using a blood knot for his droppers and tucked blood for the flies.

Interesting. So  was I when I had all the Flurocarbon breakages.

arawa

Back in the winter I decided to sort through the (embarrassingly) large box of tippet materials I had accumulated - both tapered and level. None of the material was more than 3-4 years old and most was much younger and all had been stored in a dark cupboard. I had used some of each type and they were satisfactory at the time. Strengths varied from about 2.5lb to 6lb.
All of the Orvis "Superstrong" – the previous version – was rotten and snapped with no effort at all. So did some spools of Frog Hair flouro which had been my favourite up until then – other spools were fine. A spool of Frog Hair copolymer had deteriorated and broke easily in some lengths. A spool of Hardy copolymer was fine in some parts but snapped easily in others. A spool of Rio Powerflex was completely rotten but the Rio tapered leaders were perfect.
Orvis Mirage tapered leaders and spools were absolutely fine, as were several spools of Riverge Grand Max and "ordinary" Riverge. Best of all, definitely cheapest, and probably the oldest in my stock – Maxima! No problems with any of the Maxima spools.
Not a controlled experiment but just my one-off experience and it warned me that what worked well one season might not last until the next.

Go To Front Page