News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Best buy I have made for a while.

Started by Highlander, August 06, 2019, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highlander

A Tilley Hat I have been aware of them for some time but never thought until now to actually buy one looks like I have been missing out for a while now. They are ideal not just for fishing but for general use in sun & rain made in Canada they are well constructed & comfortable. Not cheap at around £70 but will last a lifetime by the looks of them. Fred I believe is a convert to them well I seem to remember he wore one at Dundonnell Stravaig way back. Never been a fan of Baseball type caps which to my mind are useless and more suited for Baseball not fishing. For me I wore a standard tweed wide brimmed hat for years, were comfortable when dry but like a heavy sponge in the wet.
All in all I think I have made the right choice all be it late in life.
Any one else use a Tilley?
Tight Lines
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Laxdale

Bit of a chocolate teapot in my part of the world! (I had to google "tilley hat). Aside from the blowing away factor, I could not put a hood over one of them.
Baseball type hat and sunblock, or a waterproof thermal beanie type thing in the wind and rain.

Wildfisher

Bobfly

I have had one for many years and given there is a chin cord and rear neck cord they do not blow away. I find it good in rain as being similar to ventile in swelling the fibres. In hot sun it is a bit warm but they are certainly made to last.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

arawa

I wore mine out (split across the front) after a lot of use. It was replaced without question on sending a photograph of the wear.

fergie

I had one for years then after a trip up north with a mate it was missing I while later I seen his dad wearing it. The Fucker.  :lol:
Excellent hats.

Billy

I must admit to being a baseball cap man. Its handy for siting the sunglasses on when you need to flip to seeing glasses.
Its also good for keeping the hood of your jacket clear of the eyes.

I have had the same one for years and from what Fergie says you don't get loyalty from a Tilley.

Billy

Wildfisher

Tilly hats are reassuringly expensive. You  should only ever have to buy one - good for the environment.

Fish locally, wear Tilly hats and help combat the Climate Emergency

Bobfly

Only the finest natural ingredients .... none of this plastic peak lining nonsense!  I will keep quiet about my big peak Patagonia with the side hanging ear and neck screen.
Mind you I could lose count of the number of balaclavas, beanies, woolly bunnets, and stuff I could pull out of drawers and cupboards. Used to find a couple every year on the hills along with a steady supply of mostly left hand gloves  :? :?
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

johnny boy

Have to say I am a cap man, hoods come up easy and eyes are protected a bit (when you wear glasses this is important). I find glare from above uncomfortable on bright days. Used to wear a 'fore n aft' , it was comfy but a hassle if hood was needed.

Go To Front Page